Gravity speed and force of impact

In summary, the discussion involved the scenario of a 10 pound bowling ball rolling down a 5 ft long half tube with a 45 degree slope. At the end of the tube, a small portion can slide forward on bearings, but is held in place by a 1 inch bar with 40 pounds of pressure. The question was whether the impact of the 10 pound ball could slide the tube forward enough to release the 40 pounds of pressure by sliding it forward 1 1/2 inches. It was noted that using the term "pressure" did not make sense in this context. It was also mentioned that the rolling resistance of the ball would not be enough to move the tube, and that even with a force of
Newtons-law
Ok, let's say we have a bowling ball or a round weight of 10 pounds and have it roll down hill on a half tube that is 5 ft long with a 45 degree slope and at the end of the tube there is a stopping point or catching point. At the end where the ball stops a small portion of the tube can slide forward on bearings. The small portion of the tube can slide forward by gravity but is held in place by 40 pounds of pressure held by a 1 inch bar laying on the edge of the tube.

Question: Can the impact of the 10 pound ball slide the tube forward with 40 pounds of pressure applied to the edge of the tube? If so, will it slide forward enough to release the 40 pounds of pressure if slide forward 1 1/2 inch's ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose you mean 40 pounds of force? 40 pounds of pressure makes no sense, as no area is specified anywhere.

if the bowling ball is rolling when it gets to the catching poing, there will only be a small rolling resistance, that won't move the lowest section for sure.
Even if the ball is still sliding, I think you can drag a bowling ball across a smooth surface with a 40 pound force. On a slope the normal force and thus the sliding friction will be even less.

(for me a pound is a unit of mass of 0.5 kg, only to be used for ordering vegetables or cheese in a shop or weighing babies, so I hope I'm not misusing it)

The 10 lbs ball is rolling down hill and will stop upon impact at the end of the tube. Let's say 1 inch wide bar laying on 1/4 thick part of the half tube with 40 lbs of force holding the end of the tube from rolling downhill by way of gravity on ball bearings. Kamerling you believe the 10 lbs of dropping or rolling weight will not slide the small portion of the tube forward. Is that what you are telling me?

1. What is gravity?

Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which all objects with mass are brought towards one another. It is a force of attraction that exists between any two objects in the universe.

2. How does gravity affect speed?

Gravity affects speed by accelerating objects towards the Earth at a rate of 9.8 meters per second squared. This means that objects will fall faster and faster the longer they are in free fall.

3. What is the force of impact?

The force of impact is the force that an object experiences when it collides with another object. It is a measure of the energy transferred during the collision and is dependent on the mass and speed of the objects involved.

4. How does gravity impact the force of impact?

Gravity plays a crucial role in determining the force of impact. Objects that are affected by gravity will accelerate towards the Earth, increasing their speed and therefore the force of impact upon collision.

5. How can the force of impact be reduced?

The force of impact can be reduced by decreasing the speed or mass of an object. This can be achieved through the use of safety measures such as airbags, seat belts, and crumple zones in vehicles, or by implementing cushioning materials in high-impact activities.