1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravity; the very basics

1. Aug 14, 2015 #1
    1. Is 'surface gravity' the same as 'gravitational field strength'?

2. It seems to me that the 'g' in the formula w = mg sometimes refers to acceleration due to gravity (measured in m/s^2) and sometimes refers to something else that I've not quite grasped yet (measured in N/kg) ; what is the something else? And do the values of each always match exactly, ie, acceleration due to gravity near the surface of the Earth is 9.8 m / s ^2 and the magnitude of the 'something else' is 9.8 N/kg (likewise for on or near the Moon; 1.6 m/s^2 and 1.6 N/kg).

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2015 #2
    Ok.Let me help you.What is the SI unit of force?What is SI unit of mass?

4. Aug 14, 2015 #3
    Thanks. The SI unit of force is Newtons (N). The SI unit of mass is kilograms (kg).

5. Aug 14, 2015 #4
    No , it isn't . The first is gravitational field strength at the surface of the earth .

The second is a general term , that refers to the force a body exerts on a unit mass , kept at some distance , say d .

If mass of that body is M , then it's gravitational field strength at a distance d would be -
    GM / d2 .

Hope this helps .

6. Aug 14, 2015 #5
    I think you have got it !but anyways
    what is Force /mass ?

7. Aug 14, 2015 #6
    Thanks. Is surface gravity therefore the strength of gravity on an object when *in contact* with the Earth? Is that the phenomenon that's measured in N/kg? And is g.f.s therefore the strength of gravity not *in contact* with the Earth, but some distance from it?

8. Aug 14, 2015 #7
    F/m is..? Well, I know that F=ma (Newton's 2nd law of motion), so F/m=a, yes?

9. Aug 14, 2015 #8
    Right ! so N/kg comes out to be acceleration .Acceleration has another unit i.e m/s^2.N/Kg and m/s^2 is one and the same thing.

10. Aug 14, 2015 #9
    Well , I'd rather say it was the g.f.s close to , or on the surface of the earth . G.f.s is measured in N/kg , and as surface gravity is a special case of g.f.s , it has the same units ( Surface gravity is g ) .
    Not necessarily . I've answered this in the previous part of this post .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook