Gravity vs Light: What's the Turning Tide of Battle?

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges the author faces in incorporating physics into their novel, which features anthropomorphic versions of basic concepts. The climax of the novel involves a fight between Gravity and Light, and the author considers various solutions to make the fight more balanced. One idea is for Gravity to increase her own mass and warp spacetime, while another is to increase Light's mass. However, these solutions may make the characters overpowered. Ultimately, the story is more focused on entertainment rather than scientific accuracy.
BalcaenDimitri
Hi everyone,

I've just spend the last 11 months working on my first novel, rewriting the whole thing until it shines. But i have been struggling with keeping the physics straight. A core concept of the novel is that the main characters and their adversaries are all anthropomorphic versions of basic ideas and concepts, or at the very least what people believe they encapsulate. This does allow for some leeway in the actual underlying science.

Gravity is the main character in this novel and the climax rests upon her fight against Light. Now, the actual turning point of this fight is where my problem begins. At first i wanted to level the playing field by having Gravity move as fast as Light, either since gravitational waves are able to travel at the lightspeed or because gravity is basicly everywhere. But this would present a problem in the next two novels that i have planned out, as it would make her overpowered.

So i assumed that i could solve this by having Gravity increase her own mass so much that she warps spacetime itself around her. In effect this would resemble gravitational timedilation. Do note that this all takes place in a sort of shadow dimension, where these concepts are unable to alter our reality, thus endangering only those that happen to be in that place at the time. But i fear that I'm wrong in thinking that if she did that for a fraction of a second that she would be able to relatively experience time as moving slow enough to be able to fight .

Another idea was that she would instead increase Light's mass to slow her down instead. I know, light doesn't have mass, but the form that she takes on does. But again, to me it seems overpowered that she would be able to change the mass of others.

If the moment wasn't the turning tide of the battle, i could've scrapped it. But instead I'm hoping that one of you might be able to point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

Likes tionis
Physics news on Phys.org
Since you are anthropomorphizing physical characteristics of the universe you are doing something that has no basis in science and in fact is anti-scientific, you can make up anything you like

As was said the first time around with this question.

Ryan_m_b said:
It seems like your story is firmly in the realms of comicbook level science fiction. There's nothing wrong with that but it's the type of thing that conjures a tonne of problems with its inconsistencies. The usual way around that is to ignore it and make up for it in entertainment.

BalcaenDimitri said:
Another idea was that she would instead increase Light's mass to slow her down instead. I know, light doesn't have mass, but the form that she takes on does. But again, to me it seems overpowered that she would be able to change the mass of others.
Have her turn into a geon. A stable configuration of light that gravitates.

1. What is gravity?

Gravity is a fundamental force of nature that causes objects with mass to be attracted to each other. It is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun and objects on Earth from floating away into space.

2. What is light?

Light is a form of energy that is made up of electromagnetic waves. It is visible to the human eye and allows us to see the world around us. Light also has properties of both particles and waves, which makes it unique compared to other forms of energy.

3. How are gravity and light related?

Gravity and light are both fundamental forces of nature, but they have very different properties. Gravity is a force that acts on massive objects, while light is a form of energy that can travel through space. Einstein's theory of general relativity explains how gravity affects the path of light, but they are not directly related.

4. Which one is stronger, gravity or light?

Gravity and light cannot be compared in terms of strength because they are fundamentally different forces. However, gravity has a much stronger effect on larger objects with mass, while light has a weaker effect and can be blocked or redirected by objects in its path.

5. Can gravity and light be used as weapons?

Gravity and light cannot be used as weapons in the traditional sense. However, gravity can be harnessed for space travel and to create artificial gravity in space stations, while light can be used in various technologies such as lasers and fiber optics. These applications can have both positive and negative consequences, but they are not considered weapons in the traditional sense.