Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravity vs. pseudo-gravity

1. Apr 30, 2008 #1
    Hi Forum,

Hopefully someone can help out with a reference here or point me in the right direction!

Say you have 3 geophysical datasets: aeromag, Bouguer gravity and pseudo-gravity (as derived from the aeromag). I understand how the pseudo-gravity is derived, but what extra benefit do you get from using the pseudo-gravity as opposed to the Bouguer gravity? The Bouguer gravity data will help you to define crustal scale structural trends in the data, but does the pseudo-gravity pick up anything extra that can't be seen from the standard gravity data, assuming everything is done at the same scale/resolution? Is the Bouguer gravity better to use in some situations and the pseudo-gravity better to use in other situations?

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2015 #2
    You can't compare gravity and pseudo-gravity, since the latter is derived from the MAGNETIC field and therefore has nothing at all to do with gravity as such. It's called so because the magnetic field is being treated in analogy to a gravity field, so pseudo-gravity is just another way to look at the magnetic data, just as are derivatives, RTP transformations and other filters.
    As for the benefits of pseudo-gravity over mag transformations, am not of much help here sorry, though I understand it helps define the edges of anomalies (a bit like total horizontal gradient).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted