Gravity warps space and time

Very curved would be an understatement! :shocked:

misskitty said:
Not to sound like a complete moron :redface: , but my GR background is like my knowledge of photons. How is it that gravity is not a force? Gravity is the attracting force between matter. How does that work?
I think I can provide a better general relativity explanation. Imagine you and a friend are standing next to each other and you both go exactly north. As you got further and further north you start getting closer together until you are finally in the exact same spot when you are in the north pole. If you did not know the earth was spherical, you might think that there was a "force" pulling you together. This is the same thing with relativity. However one must note with this analogy that stress-energy does not just curve space but space-time and consequently masses in space (or more generally, stress-energy) curves space-time in such a way that it acts like a force at non-relativistic magnitudes.

misskitty said:
:bugeye: Cool. That fourth dimension would be time. Right?
Whenever spaces, in general, are curved, they MUST be curved into a higher dimension. So if 4-dimensional space-time is curved, it cannot be curved in the fourth dimension, it would require the use of at least a fifth dimension. If we're only speaking of three spatial dimensions, they would be curved into a fourth dimension, but nothing (that I am aware of, someone interject if I am wrong; I'm speaking mathematically, not physically here) stipulates that they must be curved into a dimension of time.

I dont get it.

If gravity isn't a regular "force", then why are they(scienists) saying that there is a gravity www.tiscali.co.uk/reference/encyclopaedia/hutchinson/m0028976.html[/URL](graviton)?

Last edited by a moderator: