Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravity wave question

1. Aug 16, 2005 #1
    I’ve read in many online articles that gravity waves open up a whole new spectrum to observe in, I’m thinking this would be down toward the lower end, below the radio part of the spectrum, is this correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2005 #2

DB

Wat?! ive never heard anything like that. gravity waves are nothing but a traveling disturbance through spacetime. they are not an electromagnetic wave, and are no where on the em spectrum. where did you read this? maybe ur not understanding it because you wrote "whole new spectrum". ive never of any gravity wave spectrum......

4. Aug 16, 2005 #3
    DB.

Maybe I am reading it wrong, but in
    this article its worded like this: Scroll down to the middle where it says "A balck hole is born"

5. Aug 16, 2005 #4

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Vast, you are reading it wrong. You are thinking "new spectrum" means "New part of electromagnetic spectrum", but the author is explicitly denying this. He is saying we know what is in every part of the electromagnetic spectrum and gravity waves aren't in there. So gravity waves must be a whole other spectrum apart from electromagnetism.

6. Aug 16, 2005 #5
    SelfAdjoint, maybe you can clear something up for me. Is anything else in physics part of another spectrum entirely?, because as far as I know, everything we observe, be it gamma rays all the way down to radio waves is part of the electromagnetic spectrum. I would think that gravitiational radiation being another physical manifestation of a celestial body, (stars, pulsars, black holes) also lie somewhere along the electromagnetic spectrum.

7. Aug 16, 2005 #6

DB

if only it were that easy. for the past while physicists have been trying to link QM, GR, and gravity. gravity seems to be the odd man out when it comes to either QM or SR/GR. electromagnetic radiation (i.e. em spectrum waves) are purely made up of photons, gravitational waves are not. therefore they cannot be in the same spectrum. in order to link QM,GR and gravity, physicists have came up with a hypothetical particle called the graviton, which one again, is not the same as a photon.

8. Aug 16, 2005 #7
    Ah, yes! the challenge of unifying GR with QM.

A question then: If a gravition is shown to exist in some future particle accelerator, (hopefully the LHC) will it be included in the electromagnetic spectrum?

9. Aug 16, 2005 #8

EL

Science Advisor

No. Gravity is not electromagnetism.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?