Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravity wave?

1. Dec 25, 2009 #1
    Is a gravity wave a disturbance in the field , could we maybe try and detect gravity waves by colliding matter and antimatter and seeing what that does to the field .

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 25, 2009 #2
    As far as I know, matter-antimatter collision experiments have been carried out, by little to no gravitatioal data was obtained.

The problem in this case might be that the energy levels are too low to produce detectable effects. Compare to merging black holes, which is a predicted source of gravitational waves.

4. Dec 25, 2009 #3

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

Indeed. We have to build machines as large as LIGO and LISA to detect gravitational waves from in-spiraling black hole binaries, so the apparatus needed to detect what you are talking about would be truly gigantic. If you wanted, you could detect the GW's from me standing and waving my arms around, but again it would be very difficult to do so.

5. Dec 25, 2009 #4
    i see , thanks for the responses

6. Dec 25, 2009 #5
    One of the (or THE) main reason(s) that detection of gravitational waves is difficult is that it is very difficult to produce detectable waves. The reason is momentum conservation. You cannot occillate the center of mass of a complete system like you can occillate a charge to create EM waves. The best you can hope for, in the absence of special sources like merging black holes, is tidal fluctuations, which are pretty weak for most situations. Just thought I would throw in this piece of extra info.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook