Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravity waves

1. May 30, 2010 #1
    HI,
    Can someone please tell me how gravity waves are detected. Please note that I am talking about gravity waves "not" gravitational waves they are two different things. Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2010 #2
    in what medium?

4. May 30, 2010 #3
    Both atmosphere and the ocean but more on atmosphere. Thanks.

5. May 30, 2010 #4

DrGreg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Please explain what you think the difference is.

6. May 30, 2010 #5
    Gravity waves has something to do with the sky (meteorology) and gravitational is something to do with astronomy.

7. May 30, 2010 #6
    Gravity waves is a fluid dynamics thing. I'll rummage through my applied maths notes if I have the time later.

8. May 30, 2010 #7
    yes, but how are they detected? please help. any help is awesome. thanks

9. May 30, 2010 #8

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

10. May 30, 2010 #9
  11. May 30, 2010 #10

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

Pretty sure it is, given he mentions atmosphere and ocean, which are the two canonical examples of gravity waves, and is talking about meteorology, not general relativity. Everyone seems to be confusing gravity waves for gravitational waves, and I think the op has made it abundantly clear that he is referring to the former.

12. May 30, 2010 #11
    Having re-read the posts I see that now. My bad.

13. May 31, 2010 #12
    The wikipedia page does not answer my questio, I have already been there. I need to know how they detect these gravity waves. Please help, thanks.

14. Jun 1, 2010 #13
    If I wanted to measure and quantify them, I'd make a float like a fishing bob, on a shaft so it can only move vertically. Measure the position of the bob over time, and then use a Fourier transform on the list of numbers to identify the mixture of waves present.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook