Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

GRBs and Supernova

1. Dec 17, 2007 #1
    What is the relation between gamma ray bursts (GRBs) and supernova?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As two of the most powerful phenomena in the universe it is tempting to link them. You might find this paper of interest:(review to appear in Prog.Theor.Phys. S.136 (1999)) Origin of Gamma Ray Bursters:
    Or a more recent paper (Proceedings of the conference "SWIFT and GRBs: Unveiling the Relativistic Universe", Venice, June 5-9, 2006, and in "Il Nuovo Cimento"): Diversity of the Supernova - Gamma-Ray Burst Connection:
  4. Dec 17, 2007 #3
    Yes , but I don't understood why GRB is short event (small than 200 s) and supernova is long event. Are GRBs produced in the same time as its associeted supernova in all case?
    and what about their afterglows in the other electomgnetic bands?
  5. Dec 17, 2007 #4

A short GRB is under 2 seconds. A 200 second GRB would be a long GRB. No one really understands how that much energy can be released in that short a period of time.

Afterglows, however, can last for months. They are caused by a different physical mechanism than the initial burst. We typically observe afterglows in frequencies from X-ray to radio.

Not all GRBs are associated with supernova. We observe far more supernovae than we do GRBs, and many long GRBs are not associated with supernovae. There is a connection there, but it's not clear-cut and not at all well understood yet.

If I was at work, I'd give you a list of references you might want to read, but I'm currently traveling for the holidays. You may want to search for some recent publications or review papers on the subject to learn more.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2007
  6. Dec 17, 2007 #5
    This time is observed time or intrinsicaly time. And how much energy is released by second in the source frame.?
  7. Dec 17, 2007 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A Supernovae is either a core collapse (massive) star, or an exploding White dwarf (Type Ia). GRB is belived to be due to other mechanisms, like binary neutronstars merging, matter accreating on NS / BH.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?