1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

GRE Analytical Writing

Tags:
  1. Oct 21, 2014 #1
    What is a reasonable analytical writing GRE score for a science/math/engineering programs? I had something like a 4.5/6.0 which seems kind of mediocre. I talked to some professors about why the general GRE is required, but they said that it was mainly aimed towards testing international students' grasp of English and their basic writing skills. Is it worth retaking if my other scores are good? How significant is the general GRE score for such programs?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2014 #2
    A mediocre AW score on the general GRE, in a STEM context, means 3 and lower. There are two uses for the general GRE: some schools will use it as a criterion to make a first cut which, with respect to general GRE, means either that a weaker GGRE score in one area has to be made up in some other fashion, like GPA/research experience (a soft GRE cutoff), or that your application will then be thrown out. Other schools will use it to award school-wide fellowships based on GPA/GGRE scores.

A 4.5 on AW is not worth retaking.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook