1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Testing GRE and TOEFL exams

1. Jun 16, 2006 #1
    I'm near the end of my third year, and I'm going to apply for grad school in the summer. There are a couple of things I need to know:

1. Assuming school X wants me to take these tests, and given that I'm going to apply in the summer for enrollment Winter (or Automn) 2007, when do I need to take the tests? This summer, next summer?

2. Regarding the subject test; I'm aplying for math, and going for math. physics and analysis. Should I also take the subject test in physics?

Also, does it matter in any way what country I take the tests in? Say I take them in Switzerland, because I'll be there at the time, could there be any problem with that (I am a swiss citizen, but not currently resident)?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2006 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I'll answer the last part first. It doesn't matter where in the world you take the test.

If you wish to enrol in Fall 2007, AND you are also applying for assistantship, then I strongly suggest you have all of your testing done by the end of December 2006, especially the GRE's. TOEFL's exam are really for the admission office and can be delayed till maybe Feb or March. But to be safe, do that around the same time period as your GRE's.

If you are not appling for assistantship, then you have to pay attention to the specific deadlines that a particular school has for admission. This can vary from school to school. The rule of thumb here is that if you are applying to a very desirable/competitive school, the SOONER the BETTER. Less competitive schools in which they seldom reach their maximum capacity will be more relaxed in their deadlines.

Regarding the subject test, to be safe, take both math and physics. But this is only a guess and I would rather you ask someone at the school you intend to apply to.

Zz.

4. Jun 16, 2006 #3
    Great. Also, Do I need to have the results of the tests before I apply? Or do I just need to specify that I want the results sent to this and that universities?

5. Jun 16, 2006 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Most universities would not accept test results sent by you. They want you to have the testing company to mail the results directly to them. So no, you don't need to have the results before you apply. This is true with TOEFL scores. However, with the GRE, especially if you intend to apply to highly popular schools, it is always good to have an idea of what your scores are. So in those cases, it might be a good idea, if you're not sure how well you can do, to take the exam first.

Zz.

6. Jun 16, 2006 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I would highly recommend taking your GRE tests early enough (sometime this summer/autumn) that you'll know your score when you're applying (and try and get all your application in by December for fall admission). You may want to choose the schools you apply to based on how well you did in the test. Also, if I'm not mistaken, ETS will mail scores to some number of schools (3 or 4?) for free, so it might help (monetarily) to have a rough idea of the schools you intend to apply to. And finally, unless it's absolutely necessary, do not apply for winter or spring admissions.

7. Jun 16, 2006 #6
    When I said winter I probably meant fall.

Do I not need to chose the schools I want the results to be sent to when I register for the tests? Is it not one of the rubrics (is that a valid English word?)?

8. Jun 24, 2006 #7
    Similar Question

I am applying in 2008 for 2009 Grad Program.And in which year should I take GRE test and which year TOEFL? If I am applying to UC Berkeley for math,do I have to take any other test besides those 2 mentioned previously?
    Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2006
  9. Jun 26, 2006 #8
    Suggestion: Take the GRE in April. Gives you another chance to take it before you start the application process. Trust me, it's very helpful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?