Timing & Requirements for GRE & TOEFL Exams for Grad School

• Testing
  • Thread starter Palindrom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exams Gre
In summary, to apply to a grad program in the summer, you need to take the GRE tests by the end of December 2006, and the TOEFL tests by the end of February 2007. If you are not applying for assistantship, you have to pay attention to the specific deadlines that a particular school has for admission. Some schools are more relaxed in their deadlines than others.
Palindrom
I'm near the end of my third year, and I'm going to apply for grad school in the summer. There are a couple of things I need to know:

1. Assuming school X wants me to take these tests, and given that I'm going to apply in the summer for enrollment Winter (or Automn) 2007, when do I need to take the tests? This summer, next summer?

2. Regarding the subject test; I'm aplying for math, and going for math. physics and analysis. Should I also take the subject test in physics?

Also, does it matter in any way what country I take the tests in? Say I take them in Switzerland, because I'll be there at the time, could there be any problem with that (I am a swiss citizen, but not currently resident)?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll answer the last part first. It doesn't matter where in the world you take the test.

If you wish to enrol in Fall 2007, AND you are also applying for assistantship, then I strongly suggest you have all of your testing done by the end of December 2006, especially the GRE's. TOEFL's exam are really for the admission office and can be delayed till maybe Feb or March. But to be safe, do that around the same time period as your GRE's.

If you are not appling for assistantship, then you have to pay attention to the specific deadlines that a particular school has for admission. This can vary from school to school. The rule of thumb here is that if you are applying to a very desirable/competitive school, the SOONER the BETTER. Less competitive schools in which they seldom reach their maximum capacity will be more relaxed in their deadlines.

Regarding the subject test, to be safe, take both math and physics. But this is only a guess and I would rather you ask someone at the school you intend to apply to.

Zz.

Great. Also, Do I need to have the results of the tests before I apply? Or do I just need to specify that I want the results sent to this and that universities?

Palindrom said:
Great. Also, Do I need to have the results of the tests before I apply? Or do I just need to specify that I want the results sent to this and that universities?

Most universities would not accept test results sent by you. They want you to have the testing company to mail the results directly to them. So no, you don't need to have the results before you apply. This is true with TOEFL scores. However, with the GRE, especially if you intend to apply to highly popular schools, it is always good to have an idea of what your scores are. So in those cases, it might be a good idea, if you're not sure how well you can do, to take the exam first.

Zz.

I would highly recommend taking your GRE tests early enough (sometime this summer/autumn) that you'll know your score when you're applying (and try and get all your application in by December for fall admission). You may want to choose the schools you apply to based on how well you did in the test. Also, if I'm not mistaken, ETS will mail scores to some number of schools (3 or 4?) for free, so it might help (monetarily) to have a rough idea of the schools you intend to apply to. And finally, unless it's absolutely necessary, do not apply for winter or spring admissions.

When I said winter I probably meant fall.

Do I not need to chose the schools I want the results to be sent to when I register for the tests? Is it not one of the rubrics (is that a valid English word?)?

Similar Question

I am applying in 2008 for 2009 Grad Program.And in which year should I take GRE test and which year TOEFL? If I am applying to UC Berkeley for math,do I have to take any other test besides those 2 mentioned previously?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Suggestion: Take the GRE in April. Gives you another chance to take it before you start the application process. Trust me, it's very helpful.

What is the GRE exam and why is it important for grad school?

The GRE (Graduate Record Examination) is a standardized test used by many graduate schools to assess applicants' readiness for advanced academic study. It tests verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, and analytical writing skills. It is an important factor in the admissions process as it helps schools evaluate applicants from different backgrounds on a level playing field.

When should I take the GRE exam?

It is recommended to take the GRE exam at least 6-12 months before your grad school application deadlines. This will give you enough time to retake the exam if needed and still have your scores available for submission to your chosen schools.

What is the TOEFL exam and do I need to take it for grad school?

The TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) is a standardized test used to measure English language proficiency for non-native speakers. Most grad schools require international applicants to take the TOEFL in order to demonstrate their readiness for advanced study in an English-speaking environment.

When should I take the TOEFL exam?

Similar to the GRE, it is recommended to take the TOEFL exam at least 6-12 months before your grad school application deadlines. This will allow you enough time to retake the exam if needed and still have your scores available for submission.

Are there any specific score requirements for the GRE and TOEFL exams for grad school?

The score requirements for the GRE and TOEFL exams vary by school and program. It is best to check with the specific schools you are interested in to see their minimum score requirements. Additionally, some schools may have higher score requirements for certain programs or departments.