1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

GRE in both Math and Physics

1. May 20, 2008 #1
    Has anyone done this?

I'm a physics major and I'd like to pursue a degree in mathematical physics. I guess that physics GRE is expected from me as a physics student, although actually I feel much more comfortable in math.

Do you think that it would be hard to make both? Would it make me more competitive if I scored well in both - or at least in one, or is it just a waste of time?

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2008 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

GRE exams are only taken in order to be accepted into grad schools aren't they; that is, there is no real benefit of taking them? I don't see the point in taking both: you should check with the department you are applying to, but as a rule of thumb I'd say that if you were applying to a maths department you'd take the math GRE and if applying to a physics department you'd take the physics GRE (of course there are bound to be exceptions).

4. May 20, 2008 #3
    I second cristo. If you're pursuing Math Physics, you might impress the admissions board with good scores in both GRE's. But it's probably a better idea to take the time you would have spent on studying for the Math GRE and apply it to getting an even better score on the Physics GRE.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?