1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

GRE math question

1. Sep 3, 2015 #1
    I was going through some GRE Quantitative Practice Tests, and found this question. Maybe I'm not understanding the question right (not a native speaker, and have never solved math problems in English), but choice B doesn't seem correct to me.
    Solutions for x (Quantity A) are 6 and -1, and for y(Quantity B) are -3 and -3. Meaning, -3<6 and -3<-1.
    Shouldn't A be correct?
    Also, there's an explanation at the bottom which is correct in general but can't seem to understand how it proves the correct choice.

X4x7Qis.png

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Yeah, I think you're right. The answer makes no sense. Also the explanation seems to be geared toward a problem of quantity A=c value and quantity B=k value.

Perhaps you can send it to someone at the GRE center for clarification.

4. Sep 3, 2015 #3

Mark44

The answer given doesn't match the question, as far as I can see, so my guess is that there is a significant typo in the question. In the answer shown, they talk about factors (x + 2) and (x + 3).
    The equation in x that they give is equivalent to x2 - 5x -6 = 0, or (x - 6)(x + 1) = 0, so x = 6 or x = -1.
    The equation in y is equivalent to (y + 3)2 = 0, so y = -3.

For the two equations, both values of x are larger than the single y value.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  5. Sep 3, 2015 #4
    Unless I miscalculated, if ## y = -3 ## then ## x^2 - 5x + 18 = 0 ## which gives ## x ## the value ## {5 \pm i\sqrt{47}} \over {2} ##. Since reals and complexes cannot be compared, I would say D! (I think there's a mistake in the printing.)

6. Sep 3, 2015 #5

Mark44

I don't see how you got your last equation. The two equations are independent of one another, so how does a value for y result in ##x^2 - 5x + 18 = 0##?

7. Sep 3, 2015 #6
    <EDIT> Ignore this post. Misread the scanned problem. </EDIT>

Since you have ## E_1 = E_2 = E_3 ##, you merely solve ## E_2 = E_3 ## first, and then substitute your value of ## y ## back into ## E_1 = E_2 ##.

## E_2 = E_3 : -y^2 + 3y = 9y + 9 ##
    ## -y^2 + 3y = 9y + 9 \rightarrow (y + 3)^2 = 0 \rightarrow y = -3 ##

## E_1 = E_2 : x^2 - 5x = -y^2 + 3y ##
    ## x^2 - 5x = -y^2 + 3y \rightarrow x^2 - 5x = -1 \cdot (-3)^2 + 3 \cdot (-3) \rightarrow x^2 - 5x = -18 \rightarrow x^2 - 5x + 18 = 0 ##

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  8. Sep 3, 2015 #7
    Oh, wait, one could take the magnitude of both numbers!

9. Sep 3, 2015 #8

Mark44

I don't think the intent was to find a simultaneous solution; i.e., a solution (x, y). My take is that the intent was merely to compare the solutions to the two equations, in which case answer A would be the correct response.

10. Sep 3, 2015 #9
    Sorry. Small screen display. I saw the problem wrong. :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook