1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Testing GRE Math subject exam

1. Nov 5, 2007 #1
    I just took the GRE math subject exam and it is safe to say I bombed it. I especially bombed it because a great score would've solidified by GPA along with my 3 letters from 3 professors I have done research under.

A lot of people have been telling me it's not terribly important, but I have been snooping around on the internet and it seems like if you don't have a certain score, you won't get in. I'm talking about getting into a 50-60% percentile.

I guess I just did not know the material as well as I thought I did.

Are my chances of getting into my top choice schools done for? What type of school would be a safety school with a 3.8, good letters of reccomendation from professors I have researched under, a good gre and a bad gre math score?

Thanks guys
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2007 #2
    No offense. But that was what i lacked when i apply for grad school. only one school in top 20 accepts me.
  4. Nov 5, 2007 #3
    nah i understand, i have to pay the price for bombing the gre's. this sucks!
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  5. Nov 5, 2007 #4
    How bad did you do? You look good everywhere else. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Maybe you could talk to one of your recommenders about it, and they can talk about it in their LOR. Perhaps they could say that you know your stuff, despite the low GRE score.
  6. Nov 5, 2007 #5
    Jason - You don't even know your GRE scores yet. I would try not to stress out about it for the next month.
  7. Nov 5, 2007 #6
    I just found out (by phone) that I did really badly on the physics GRE. It's not too big of a deal though, since I've decided to apply to engineering graduate programs instead of physics grad programs.
  8. Nov 6, 2007 #7
    I know what my max score is because of how many I skipped.

I am eager to see where I get into. I simply do not care anymore that I bombed the GRE. my grad school application is damn good, if they don't accept me, they don't accept me. i worked my butt off for 3 straight years, sorry i didnt have time to study for the gre math, i was studying actual mathematics.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?