1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

GRE Partial Derivatives

1. Aug 21, 2007 #1
    I am reading "Cracking the GRE Math Subject Test - Princeton Review, 3rd Ed." and and confused by the section on the chain rule for partial derivatives. The method in the book is as follows:

1) Draw a diagram to show how the variables depend on each other, with an arrow meaning "depends on"

2) To find a derivative, find all paths from the dependent variable to the independent variable. Each path gives a product of partial derivatives.

3) Sum all products from different paths in 2.

I thought I understood this (and I think I have paraphrased it correctly!) but they give the following example of a complicated situation:

Let z = F(u, v, y), where u = f(v, x) and v = g(x, y). We are to find [tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}[/tex]. They provide the following diagram, which I have reproduced (in glorious code-o-vision):

Code (Text):

|   ^ \     /
      |   || \   /
      |   ||  \ /
    --z   ||   \
    | |   ||  / \
    | |   || /   \
    | |   |v/     \
    | ---->v------->y
    |               ^

Arrows from z to u, v and y
    Arrows from u to x, y and v
    Arrows from v to x, y and u

They then give the answer

[tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial y} = \frac{\partial z}{\partial y} + \frac{\partial z}{\partial u}\frac{\partial u}{\partial y} + \frac{\partial z}{\partial v}\frac{\partial v}{\partial u}\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}[/tex]

My problems:

1) Does their diagram have two too many arrows? (I think the arrows from v to u and from u to y are wrong.) If their arrows are correct, why are they there?

2) Using their method, there are paths from z to y they have not considered.

3) I get the answer (using my diagram)

[tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial y} = \frac{\partial z}{\partial y} + \frac{\partial z}{\partial v}\frac{\partial v}{\partial y} + \frac{\partial z}{\partial u}\frac{\partial u}{\partial v}\frac{\partial v}{\partial y}[/tex]

are these the same? (I don't think so.)

Thanks. I hope this is clear.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2007 #2
    Your answer seems correct to me. They probably made a typo. I mean if u = f(v,x) has no y terms in it, then it makes no sense to take the partial derviative of u with respect to y
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?