GRE Physics Subject Test

I have been trying to figure out whether I should submit my physics subject test score to grad schools if it is optional. I scored a 29 percentile on the test which despite being relatively high for my school doesn't look great on a grad school app. 'm not applying to any really top schools but I am applying to a few mid grade ones. Am I better off omitting this score from my application or will I be penalized for that?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Answers and Replies

eri
If it's optional, don't bother. Many schools are now realizing that subject GRE test scores don't correlate well with finishing the PhD (in fact, I heard the best correlation, even in physics, is with the general GRE English score - go figure). While 29% is often pretty high for a liberal arts college graduate, it still doesn't look very good - and it doesn't necessarily mean you're a poor student. My highest score was a 18% coming from a small liberal arts school, and I'll be finishing my PhD in physics soon (if I get a job, that is). Concentrate instead on pushing any research experience you might have gotten.

Thats good to know, I was a little worried it might put me at a huge disadvantage not to submit it but it sounds like that isn't the case. I had no idea the correlation was that poor.

Its also great to hear from someone else coming from a smaller school who has done well in grad school. I think I have a decent amount of potential in physics but I was starting to get a little worried I wasn't going to be adequately prepared for a serious school.

Thanks for the help.