1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Testing GRE-PHYSICS TEST

1. Sep 12, 2016 #1
    hi there, i am going to study for GRE Physics test .
    i want any one to guide me for an easy book for that .
    and i want to know which of this 2 books is more related to the gre test
    - physics for scientists and engineers by Serway & Jewette
    - fundamental of physics by Halliday & Resnick

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2016 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Neither. Those are 1st year books. The GRE is normally taken by people with several years more experience.
    As was pointed out before, a degree in agriculture does not prepare you for graduate work in physics.

4. Sep 12, 2016 #3
    Ok . thank you for your encouragement .
    Now i really love that way of life and i want to change my career to be a physicist .
    What should i do ?
    you can give me an advice . or tell me which books i should study to be as good as possible to have a good score on that Gre.

5. Sep 12, 2016 #4
  6. Sep 12, 2016 #5
    Materials for the GRE Prep course: The following materials are suggestion to aid your studying:
    • Purchase a copy of "The Physics Companion" by A.C. Fischer-Cripps. This is available via amazon.com for about $20.00. (SPS does have some of these available to loan)
    • Physics by Halliday and Resnick. Any edition. If you don't have this available to you, any introductory textbook will work.
    That's it.

7. Sep 12, 2016 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

In another thread you started, your stated goal was to pursue an MS in Physics. This doesn't seem at all realistic to me, as your undergrad degree is in Agriculture. My advice is to take all of the undergraduate physics classes before attempting a masters' program in that discipline.

8. Sep 12, 2016 #7

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You really think you can handle an MS in physics with only knowing the contents of Halliday? Sure, maybe you'll pass the GRE, but that's nothing compared to what awaits you in a MS.

Also, I would try to invest some time every day to fix your English. If you're from a foreign country, you will need to pass the TOEFL, which seems pretty challenging in you case.

9. Sep 12, 2016 #8

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

If I remember right, about 70~80% of the problems on the PGRE are freshmen/sophomore level questions, thus the recommendation to use an intro book to help you study. (Of which, info in physics volume 1 and 2 may help you solve 30~40%) The other questions come from a variety of junior/senior level coursework(sometimes in specialties even physics majors don't do an entire course in), which you'd be at a total loss of.

If by some miracle you scored an amazing mark on the exam (you won't), there's still zero chance you'd be admitted without some kind of stipulation you complete a slew of remedial classes. Even then, basically, no one is going to admit you because of the above.

Since arigculture and physics don't really have any overlap in course work, you're going to need to pretty much do a second bachelor's degree if you really want to pursue this.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  10. Sep 12, 2016 #9
    I'm going to second the above comments.

Source: Went to mediocre school, learned only enough physics for the physics GRE, now dying in grad school.

11. Sep 13, 2016 #10
    Can any one of you tell me
    the best books for PGre and
    i will study them whatever it takes.

12. Sep 14, 2016 #11

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Oh well, if you'll just ignore everything we say: just study Halliday.

13. Sep 14, 2016 #12

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Reguardless of what you get on the PGRE you're not going to be admitted to a graduate program.

This is about as explicit as one can be.

14. Sep 14, 2016 #13
    I know that i will try after it to study the all undergraduate p books my self
    that's why i am asking for help.
    i am asking from you to give me alist of biiks with authores for what i should study
    i have a jop and i have a lot of time and i want to use it to study the whole undergraduate physics books.

15. Sep 14, 2016 #14

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

That won't impress any grad program. They simply don't care what you studied yourself.

16. Sep 14, 2016 #15
    What else?
    I have alot of time give me p books and mathematics books that is important for that

17. Sep 14, 2016 #16
    I completey understand that i am just like that .
    Iam going to do it any way
    so can you help for that?!

18. Sep 14, 2016 #17

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Sure, finish Halliday. Then study Kleppner and Kolenkow mechanics together with Morin mechanics. Once you're done with that, ask again.

19. Sep 14, 2016 #18
    So you completely understand that you will not be considered for admission to graduate school and are just learning for fun? Then yes, Halliday is a good starting point.

20. Sep 14, 2016 #19

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

That's not a true statement for anyone.

What's the reason for not wanting to get a second bachelor's? It's the only way you have a chance to actually do this.

21. Sep 14, 2016 #20
    What's also true is that even if you learn every single thing that a typical undergraduate physics student learns, you will still not be admitted to graduate school. What is unclear about this?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted