1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

GRE Practise: ScoreItNow

Tags:
  1. Aug 16, 2012 #1
    Has anyone ever used the ScoreItNow service for practising their Analytical Writing?

https://www.dxrgroup.com/cgi-bin/scoreitnow/index.pl

The website claims to have developed an algorithm that can mark your essay. I'm very dubious. They even say in the FAQ that:

Given that they don't say how accurate the service is I'm inclined to think it is a waste of money.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2012 #2
    I could be wrong but I am pretty sure they use Scoreitnow to mark actual GRE essays. They basically get a computer to mark an essay, and a human. If both the computer and the human give the same score, then that is the score. If the computer and human disagree, then another human is used in place of the computer.

So basically, while it may give you a good idea, I think the reason they want you to use this service is so that they can practice the Scoreitnow functionality on more essays. I think it helps them much more than it will help you.

Along with that, the whole GRE deal just seems like a major money making scam.

I would recommend not using it, and get a human to read your essays and give you actual advice.

4. Aug 16, 2012 #3
    I tried it a few years ago, and yes, the score it gave me was very similar to the score I actually got on the GRE. I also tried other practice services that had human readers, and again, the scores were similar, *but* I also got feedback on how I could improve.

ScoreItNow was cheaper than the human though, although less helpful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook