1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

GRE (Prep?)

1. Nov 1, 2007 #1
    Hi all,

Was wondering how much anyone really "preps" for the GRE. Senior year in Mech/Aero eng doesn't leave a whole lotta time to study vocab words.

I hear alot of people doing ok (aka, getting into grad school) with some pretty abismal verbal scores.

And from what I can tell the math section is a joke for engineers.

Does anyone really study for this thing?

-Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2007 #2
    My studying for the general GRE has consisted of taking one practice test.

For the physics GRE on the other hand... I've been studying a huge amount.

(I'm taking both GREs within the next week.)

4. Nov 1, 2007 #3
    The math section is definitely a joke for engineers. For engineering, something like 20% score an 800 according to ETS's research. I took a practice test or two to get the feel of the test and that was about it, but the score you will get is highly dependent on your learning style far prior to the exam, so I'd hazard a guess to say that you shouldn't worry about studying too hard.

I distinctly remember one of my profs (upon me mentioning I had to miss his class to take the GRE) commented not to worry about the verbal part because his grad school (a rather prestigious uni) didn't even look at it.

5. Nov 3, 2007 #4
    For math, if you take one practice test and score > 700, that's an indication which tells you that you don't really need to study much for the math section. I didn't study a single minute for the math section on GRE and got 790.

On the other hand, you really need to study the verbal section. I mean, remember the SATs and their weird vocabularies? GRE has even more. The best way to study this section in my opinion is try to recite some words you don't know before you go to bed, pick up books and just read them. You don't realize how reading on regular basis help on the verbal section.

6. Nov 3, 2007 #5
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?