Gre Problem # 40 counting rate

In summary, The counting rate of a radioactive sample can be estimated by taking the square root of the number of counts, which in this case is 9934. Therefore, the estimated counting rate is 100 with a standard deviation of most nearly 100.
quantumworld
Dear members,
here is a gre problem that I couldn't know how to tackle, any effort will be greatly appreciated.
An experimenter measures 9934 counts during one hour from a radioactive sample. From this number the counting rate of the sample can be estimated with a standard deviation of most nearly
(A) 100
(B) 200
(C) 300
(D) 400
(E) 500
the answer is (A) 100, could anyone please help me out understand this problem :confused:

thanks so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
the standard deviation in counting experiments is sqrt(N). In this case N is roughly 10000.

p.s. i have no clue why.

This one is more or less just remembernig the rules for estimating error.

As you probably guessed, the rule for estimating the error of a count is the square root of the count.

If you're comfortable with statistics, you could probably derive the mean and variance of the "counting" distribution (quotes because I don't remember the right name), use the observed value as an estimate of the mean, and solve for the variance.

What is "Gre Problem # 40 counting rate"?

"Gre Problem # 40 counting rate" is a question from the GRE (Graduate Record Examination) that involves analyzing a data set and determining the average counting rate of a sample.

What is a counting rate?

A counting rate is the number of events (such as particles or photons) detected per unit time.

How is the counting rate calculated?

The counting rate is calculated by dividing the total number of events detected by the total time taken to detect them.

Why is the counting rate an important measurement in science?

The counting rate can provide valuable information about the properties and behavior of particles or other events being measured. It can also be used to make comparisons and draw conclusions about different samples or experimental conditions.

What factors can affect the counting rate?

The counting rate can be affected by factors such as the sensitivity and efficiency of the detector, the type and energy of the particles being detected, and any external sources of noise or interference.