1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gre Problem # 85

1. Aug 31, 2004 #1
    Another mind boggling problem,
    any effort will be relieving...

here it is:
    Small-amplitude standing waves of wavelength lambda occur on a string with tension T, mass per unit length mue , and length L. One end of the string is fixed and the other end is attached to a ring of mass M that slides on a frictionless rod. When gravity is neglected, which of the following conditions correctly determines the wavelength? ( you might want to consider the limiting cases M->0 and M->infinity.
    (A) mue/M = (2pie/lambda)cot(2pie*L/lambda)
    (B) mue/M = (2pie/lambda)tan(2pie*L/lambda)
    (C) mue/M = (2pie/lambda)sin(2pie*L/lambda)
    (D) Lambda = 2L/n, n=1,2,3...
    (E) Lambda = 2L/(n+1/2), n=1,2,3...

my confusion starts with neglecting gravity, what will the added ring do, if no gravity is present?
    to see the problem with a figure, please click on the link below, it is #85
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2004 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, it isn't. I also tried searching for "standing waves", with zero instances found.
  4. Sep 1, 2004 #3
    Sorry Tom,
    that question was there couple months ago, it seems that they posted a new one now, I should have double checked before I posted it. but here is my attempted picture:

*fixed end *wavy string *end attached to a ring that slides on a stick

SOrry again, I was trying to draw it, but it was crooked when I posted it.
    I will try to search more for that test, to see if it is still somewhere online.
    THank you so much for your efforts.
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2004
  5. Sep 2, 2004 #4
  6. Sep 3, 2004 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

About what confuses you... there is no gravitational force on M but it does provide inertia. Consider the limit [itex] M \rightarrow \infty [/itex], then teh possible wavelengths are [itex] \lambda = 2L, L, 2L/3....[/itex]. On the other hand, in the limit [itex] M \rightarrow 0[/itex], we have [itex] \lambda = 4L, 4L/3 ....[/itex] (fixed end/free end boundary conditions). using those limits, it's easy to pick the correct answer.

7. Sep 3, 2004 #6
    Bingo Pat!
    thanks so much!! I just couldn't see it on my own :bugeye: ...
  8. Sep 3, 2004 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You're very welcome.

It's always nice to get a thank you for answering a question :biggrin:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?