Math Subject GRE Error: Is it Possible to Report?

• Thread starter m0bius
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Error Gre
In summary, the speaker took the Math Subject GRE and believes they found an error in one of the questions. They are hesitant to provide details but mention that the question was straightforward and four of the five answers were clearly wrong. They also note that the fifth answer was missing a number and would have been the correct answer. The speaker checked on a calculator and got the same result. They are unsure how to report the error, but suggest emailing ETS. Upon further reflection, the speaker realizes their mistake was due to a reading comprehension failure.
m0bius
Just took the Math Subject GRE today, and at the risk of making a fool of myself I believe I came across an error in one of the questions. I'm not sure how much I can mention about the question, but it was probably the easiest question on the entire test, which really makes me wonder if I read it wrong or something. If anyone here took the test they should know exactly what I'm taking about if it was indeed a faulty question.

I'm no genius, but the question was so straightforward (I think) and 4 of the 5 answers were clearly wrong. Note that those four answers were real numbers, all of a similar form. The fifth was missing one number which would have made it of the same form as the other answers, and it would have been the answer I ended up getting over and over. I have checked on a calculator and I'm getting the same thing.

Is there any way to report this somehow? I know I'm being very vague but the internet isn't 100% private and I'm too paranoid to post the actual question. But again, anyone who took this should know what I'm talking about, otherwise I might be wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Email ETS about it if you feel there was a mistake.

After thinking about it more I realize where I went wrong. Basically a reading comprehension failure, although I think it's a slightly confusing problem to begin with.

1. Can I report an error on my Math Subject GRE score?

Yes, it is possible to report an error on your Math Subject GRE score. If you believe there was a mistake in grading or scoring, you can request a score review by contacting ETS (Educational Testing Service) within 30 days of receiving your scores. Keep in mind that score reviews may result in a score increase, decrease, or no change.

2. How long does it take for ETS to review reported errors?

The review process for reported errors on Math Subject GRE scores can take up to 3 weeks. ETS will notify you of the outcome of the review by email. However, if the review requires additional research, it may take longer.

3. Are there any fees for reporting errors on my Math Subject GRE score?

Yes, there is a fee of $50 for requesting a score review. If the review results in a score increase, the fee will be refunded. However, if the review results in no change or a score decrease, the fee will not be refunded.

4. Can I request a rescore of only one section of the Math Subject GRE?

No, ETS does not offer partial rescores for the Math Subject GRE. If you request a score review, all sections of the exam will be reviewed together.

5. Will reporting an error on my Math Subject GRE score affect my original score?

It is possible that your score may change as a result of the review process. However, ETS ensures that all scores are thoroughly and accurately reviewed before any changes are made. If your score does change, you will receive a new score report. If there is no change, your original score will remain the same.