Calculating Relative Velocity of Spaceships Using GRE Relativity Equations

In summary, according to the homework statement, if two spaceships are passing each other, the relative velocity is the difference of their velocities multiplied by 1+v1v2/c2.
Silviu

Homework Statement

Two spaceships pass each other. Space-ship A moves relative to a nearby planet at velocity ##v_1##, while spaceship B moves at velocity ##v_2## relative to the planet. How fast does spaceship A move relative to spaceship B?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I just applied the addition of velocities ##v = \frac{v_1+v_2}{1+v_1v_2/c^2}##. However the correct answer is ##v = \frac{|v_1-v_2|}{1-v_1v_2/c^2}##. Can someone explain to me why? Also, if we take the classical case when 2 spaceships pass each other the relative velocity would be ##v_1+v_2##, which is given by my solution. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Does your solution work in the classical case? Suppose A and B are both moving to the left at 10 miles/hour relative to the planet. Is their relative velocity 20 miles/hour?

phyzguy said:
Does your solution work in the classical case? Suppose A and B are both moving to the left at 10 miles/hour relative to the planet. Is their relative velocity 20 miles/hour?
But the problem specifies that they are passing by each other. As we have no information about the acutal values of velocities, don't we have to assume they are moving toward each other (otherwise they might never meet)?

Since both velocities are specified as relative to the planet, I think you have to assume that they are specified in the same reference frame. Then, if they are moving toward each other, they must have opposite signs. I think your solution assumes both v1 and v2 are positive numbers.

phyzguy said:
Since both velocities are specified as relative to the planet, I think you have to assume that they are specified in the same reference frame. Then, if they are moving toward each other, they must have opposite signs. I think your solution assumes both v1 and v2 are positive numbers.
I am confused.If they move towards each other, classically you have ##v_1+v_2##. Why in this case you would have minus?

Silviu said:
I am confused.If they move towards each other, classically you have ##v_1+v_2##. Why in this case you would have minus?

If v1 and v2 are measured in the same reference frame, then their relative velocity of 1 relative to 2 is v1-v2. I think you are again implicitly assuming that v1 and v2 are both positive numbers. If they are measured in the same frame and they are moving toward each other, one is positive and the other negative. For what it is worth, I don't think the problem is very well worded. Usually we assume that a velocity is a vector quantity and we use the word speed for the magnitude of the velocity. Here the problem is mixing those two concepts.

phyzguy said:
Here the problem is mixing those two concepts.
I am not so sure. Using the double subscript convention, let
##v_{AP}## = velocity of spaceship A relative to Planet
##v_{BP}## = velocity of spaceship B relative to Planet
##v_{BA}## = velocity of spaceship B relative to spaceship A
Then
$$v_{BP}=\frac{v_{AP}+v_{BA}}{1+v_{AP}~v_{BA}/c^2}$$
which can be solved for ##v_{BA}## to get
$$v_{BA}=\frac{v_{BP}-v_{AP}}{1-v_{BP}~v_{AP}/c^2}$$
Note that the v's are velocities, not speeds, that could be positive or negative depending on what else is given. Also note that ##v_{AB} = -v_{BA}##, hence the absolute value sign in the answer covers either case since the question asks
Silviu said:
How fast does spaceship A move relative to spaceship B?

1. What is the GRE Relativity Question?

The GRE Relativity Question is a physics-based question on the GRE (Graduate Record Examination) that tests a student's understanding of the theory of relativity. It usually involves a scenario where an observer on Earth observes an event while another observer is moving at a high velocity relative to the Earth.

2. How is the GRE Relativity Question different from other physics questions on the GRE?

The GRE Relativity Question is unique because it requires a deeper understanding of the theory of relativity, which is not typically covered in undergraduate physics courses. It also requires critical thinking and problem-solving skills, rather than simply memorizing formulas and equations.

3. What are some strategies for approaching the GRE Relativity Question?

One strategy is to break down the question into smaller parts and identify what is known and what is being asked. Another is to draw a diagram or use visual aids to better understand the scenario. It is also important to remember the key principles of relativity, such as the constancy of the speed of light and the relativity of simultaneity.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when answering the GRE Relativity Question?

One common mistake is to assume that the laws of physics are the same for all observers, when in fact they can be different for observers in different reference frames. It is also important to carefully read the question and pay attention to details, as the wording of the question can make a big difference in the answer.

5. How can I prepare for the GRE Relativity Question?

Aside from studying the theory of relativity, it is important to practice solving GRE-style relativity questions. This will help familiarize you with the types of questions and the level of difficulty. It can also be helpful to work with a tutor or study group to discuss and solve practice questions together.