1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gre Score And Chance Of Admission In Grad School

1. Dec 24, 2004 #1
    i'll be writing my GRE next year, and i don't have any publication till date. i'm a student of iit bombay(Masters' course), cpi is >9 in 10. i don't have any clue what kind of GRE score (general as well as subjct GRE)ensures admission to top 20 universities if i mantian this cpi. for top 10 universities? plz help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2004 #2
    No GRE scores (both general and subject) will really ensure admittance, though with your grades and good recommendations they will help. What field are you looking at?
  4. Dec 29, 2004 #3
    i'm in physics. what i mean is - i'll have cpi which is good, and i'll get good recommendation letters too. i have some project experience, though didn't publish anything yet. what i want to know is apart from these things what minimum GRE score should i have (i know that there is no official cut-off) so that i can atleast compete, say, if i apply to MIT?
  5. Dec 29, 2004 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To be competitive at the highest levels I would think that you'd like to have a general score of at least 2100/2400 and a subject score of at least 800/990.

But these are based on my experience from about 5 yrs ago, and things may have changed. Also, your recommendations (references) and research/project experience are more important.
  6. Jul 4, 2009 #5
    You have a great profile. I am sorry to be a little blunt but making it to Top five takes some extra effort. Do you have any international Olympiad or peer reviewed journal publication? You can find a good admission chance estimator at www.missiongre.com.
    It has an admission prediction tool that can be used to check your chances at MIT.
    Best of luck
  7. Jul 4, 2009 #6
    By the way, in case you don't know MIT does not ask for GRE score.
  8. Jul 4, 2009 #7

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

First, this post was 5 years old. The OP might well have a PhD by now.

Second, your information is incorrect. MIT Physics requires the GRE. See http://web.mit.edu/admissions/graduate/pdfs/MIT_department_info.pdf Indeed, you will see that all but a small number of departments, like Media Studies, require it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?