1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

GRE scores

1. Jun 12, 2009 #1
    So, I just took the GRE and I got a 390 on verbal and a 600 on quantitative. I feel that this is a little low, but is this acceptable for a math grad program? Do they really put that much weight on the GRE scores? I mean, I've seen some schools that don't even require them.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2009 #2
    If you want to go to graduate school in math, a 600 quantitative is far, far, far, far, far too low. You should be acing it. A 390 on the verbal section isn't as bad, but for a native speaker of English, it might raise some red flags.

I would 100% recommend taking the test again. No offense, and I'm sure you're very smart, but those scores are awful and they don't make you look very smart.

How is the rest of your application?

4. Jun 12, 2009 #3
    Well, I am just in the beginning stages of it. I know I should have one very good reccomendation and 2 other good ones. I have a pretty good gpa and I want to put together a good personal statement soon. I'm in a mth honor society, too.

5. Jun 12, 2009 #4
    I just wonder if being a woman in math plays to my advantage. My advisor told me to feel free to play that card.

6. Jun 12, 2009 #5
    It probably works for you when your applying to grad school, and maybe for post-doc stage. Profs want to be able to say they have good diversity when applying for grants. Later on when your looking for a permanent job though, its tougher to break the "old-boys club" mentality of your potential colleagues. At least that is how I understand it (i'm a guy by the way).

7. Jun 12, 2009 #6
    A decision like this should be whatever makes you comfortable. I know a few women that have expressed disinterest to this line of thinking. Other than that, 600 is really not that high for someone who is in the math honor society. Retake.

8. Jun 13, 2009 #7
    Does GRE verbal score matter much when you are a nonnative english speaker?

9. Jun 13, 2009 #8
    ... how bad a score are we talking? 200? 250? 300? 350?

10. Jun 13, 2009 #9
    I havent taken the test, but looking at the sample questions on the ETS website I can do about half of the analogies and antonyms and nearly all of the sentence completions and reading comprehension. I dont know what kind of score I would get with these.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook