Is a 390 on the GRE Verbal Acceptable for Math Grad Programs?

In summary, a nonnative english speaker with a good GPA and a math honor society might be okay with a score around 350 on the GRE verbal.
kathrynag
So, I just took the GRE and I got a 390 on verbal and a 600 on quantitative. I feel that this is a little low, but is this acceptable for a math grad program? Do they really put that much weight on the GRE scores? I mean, I've seen some schools that don't even require them.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to go to graduate school in math, a 600 quantitative is far, far, far, far, far too low. You should be acing it. A 390 on the verbal section isn't as bad, but for a native speaker of English, it might raise some red flags.

I would 100% recommend taking the test again. No offense, and I'm sure you're very smart, but those scores are awful and they don't make you look very smart.

How is the rest of your application?

Well, I am just in the beginning stages of it. I know I should have one very good reccomendation and 2 other good ones. I have a pretty good gpa and I want to put together a good personal statement soon. I'm in a mth honor society, too.

I just wonder if being a woman in math plays to my advantage. My advisor told me to feel free to play that card.

kathrynag said:
I just wonder if being a woman in math plays to my advantage. My advisor told me to feel free to play that card.

It probably works for you when your applying to grad school, and maybe for post-doc stage. Profs want to be able to say they have good diversity when applying for grants. Later on when your looking for a permanent job though, its tougher to break the "old-boys club" mentality of your potential colleagues. At least that is how I understand it (i'm a guy by the way).

kathrynag said:

A decision like this should be whatever makes you comfortable. I know a few women that have expressed disinterest to this line of thinking. Other than that, 600 is really not that high for someone who is in the math honor society. Retake.

Does GRE verbal score matter much when you are a nonnative english speaker?

... how bad a score are we talking? 200? 250? 300? 350?

I haven't taken the test, but looking at the sample questions on the ETS website I can do about half of the analogies and antonyms and nearly all of the sentence completions and reading comprehension. I don't know what kind of score I would get with these.

1. Is a 390 on the GRE Verbal Acceptable for Math Grad Programs?

It ultimately depends on the specific program you are applying to and their individual requirements. Some programs may have a minimum score requirement for the Verbal section, while others may place more emphasis on your Quantitative score. It is best to research the program's admissions criteria and see if your score falls within their acceptable range.

2. How important is the GRE Verbal score for Math Grad Programs?

The importance of the GRE Verbal score varies among programs. Some may place equal weight on both the Verbal and Quantitative sections, while others may value the Quantitative score more heavily. It is important to research the program's admissions criteria to see how they weigh the Verbal score in their decision-making process.

3. Can a strong Quantitative score offset a low Verbal score for Math Grad Programs?

Again, this depends on the specific program's admissions criteria. Some programs may be more forgiving of a low Verbal score if your Quantitative score is strong, while others may place equal weight on both sections. It is best to research the program's admissions requirements to see how they evaluate GRE scores.

4. Will a 390 on the GRE Verbal hurt my chances of getting into a Math Grad Program?

While a low Verbal score may not necessarily disqualify you from getting into a Math Grad Program, it may make your application less competitive. Admissions committees often look at a combination of factors, including GPA, letters of recommendation, and standardized test scores. If your Verbal score is below the average for the program, it may be beneficial to strengthen other aspects of your application to compensate.

5. Is it possible to retake the GRE to improve my Verbal score for Math Grad Programs?

Yes, it is possible to retake the GRE to improve your Verbal score. However, keep in mind that some programs have a limit on how many times you can take the GRE within a certain period. It is also important to prepare and study for the exam to ensure a higher score. Additionally, some programs may only consider your highest score, while others may average all of your scores. Make sure to do your research before retaking the exam.