GRE Scoring: Is Your Official Score Report Different?

• Thread starter daveyman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gre
In summary, the official GRE score report is sent directly to schools while the unofficial report can be viewed on the computer screen after the test. It takes 10-15 days to receive the official report and additional reports can be requested for a fee. Once sent, the score report cannot be cancelled or deleted but you can choose which schools to send it to. Only the most recent score will be reported officially, but all past attempts will be visible for personal reference.
daveyman
My question is about the general GRE test.

On the practice tests provided by ETS, you see your score immediately after the test has ended. Is this how it is at the real test? It seems like the computer could grade your test immediately, since it is merely comparing your score to previous test takers. If this is the case, what information is included in you official score report?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you will receive your score for Quantitative and Verbal immediately after you take the test.

Of course, will have to wait for you score for the writing section.

I can provide a response to your question regarding the scoring of the general GRE test. It is understandable to have questions about the scoring process and the differences between the practice tests and the actual test.

Firstly, it is important to note that the practice tests provided by ETS are designed to simulate the actual test experience and give you an idea of your potential score. However, the official scoring of the GRE is a more complex process that involves a combination of computerized scoring and human scoring. This is to ensure the accuracy and fairness of the scores.

During the actual test, your responses are recorded and sent to ETS for scoring. The computer will then assign a preliminary score based on the number of correct answers. However, this score is subject to further review and adjustment by human scorers. This is because some questions may be deemed more difficult or may have multiple correct answers, so human judgment is necessary to ensure the accuracy of the final score.

Your official score report will include your final scores for each section of the GRE, along with your percentile rank. It will also include information on the score scale and how your scores compare to other test takers. Additionally, it may also include a breakdown of your performance on different question types within each section.

In summary, while the practice tests may provide an immediate score, the official scoring of the GRE is a more thorough and comprehensive process involving both computerized and human scoring. Your official score report will provide you with detailed information about your performance on the test. I hope this helps to clarify any doubts or concerns you may have had about the GRE scoring process.

1. What is the difference between the official GRE score report and the unofficial score report?

The official GRE score report is the one that is sent directly to the schools or institutions you are applying to, while the unofficial score report is the one that you can view on the computer screen after completing the GRE test. The official report is considered more accurate and is the one that will be used for admissions decisions.

2. How soon can I receive my official GRE score report?

Typically, it takes approximately 10-15 calendar days from the test date to receive your official GRE score report via email. However, it may take longer during peak testing periods or if there are any issues with your test results.

3. Can I request for additional score reports to be sent to other schools or institutions?

Yes, you can request for additional score reports to be sent to other schools or institutions for a fee. You can do this either when you register for the GRE test or after you have taken the test. Additional score reports can be sent for up to five years after your test date.

4. Can I cancel or delete my GRE score report?

No, you cannot cancel or delete your GRE score report once it has been sent to the schools or institutions you listed. However, you can choose not to send your scores to certain schools or institutions when you register for the test.

5. Will my GRE score report include all of my test attempts?

No, only your most recent GRE test score will be reported on your official score report. However, all of your test attempts from the past five years will be visible on your score report for your own reference.