GRE solution still begs a question

• Thread starter Kidphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gre
In summary, the beam of hydrogen atoms splits when the magnetic field is oriented vertically, due to the Lorentz force law.
Kidphysics

Homework Statement

http://whoisntdavidrinaldi.com/physics/split.png

Homework Equations

AxB=C

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that the beam splits, but why does it not split horizontally? If I hold my index finger to the page with my middle finger up then my thumb is either left or right..

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since the beam of hydrogen atoms electrically neutral, the Lorentz force law doesn't come explicitly into play. It is the magnetic dipole moments of the hydrogen atoms which determine which way the beam deflects.

Because the magnetic field is oriented vertically, the torque on the hydrogen atoms is such as to align their magnetic moments vertically (or at least precess about the vertical axis. However, because this magnetic field is not constant over the length of each atom, the atoms experience a net force as well, deflecting them either upward or downward depending on their magnetic moments.

Since a hydrogen atom in its ground state is equally likely to be spin-up or spin-down, we see the beam deflected into two equally intense halves.

i want to delete this post

I'm sorry if my answer was unsatisfactory, but isn't that overdoing it?

Likes 1 person
jfizzix said:
I'm sorry if my answer was unsatisfactory, but isn't that overdoing it?

No your answer was perfect, I responded but re-read your post and it answered the question I thought I had. Not knowing how to delete my post I just edited my answered follow up question to "id like to delete this post"

the answer was great, I thank you

Please do NOT delete threads after they have been answered. Others have the same questions and can learn from the answers.

Kidphysics said:
No your answer was perfect, I responded but re-read your post and it answered the question I thought I had. Not knowing how to delete my post I just edited my answered follow up question to "id like to delete this post"

the answer was great, I thank you

As Halls said, it is our policy to not delete posts after they have received help. And if you do so yourself, you could receive an infraction for it.

1. What does it mean for a GRE solution to "beg a question"?

When a GRE solution "begs a question", it means that it raises a new question or issue that has not yet been adequately addressed or answered.

2. Why is it important to address the issue of "begging a question" in GRE solutions?

Addressing the issue of "begging a question" in GRE solutions is important because it ensures that the solution is thorough and comprehensive, and does not leave any important questions or issues unresolved.

3. How can "begging a question" be avoided in GRE solutions?

To avoid "begging a question" in GRE solutions, it is important to thoroughly analyze and consider all possible factors and variables, and to provide evidence and reasoning to support the proposed solution.

4. Is "begging a question" a common problem in GRE solutions?

Yes, "begging a question" is a common problem in GRE solutions, as it is easy to overlook certain factors or make assumptions without sufficient evidence or reasoning.

5. Can "begging a question" be a subject of debate in GRE solution discussions?

Yes, "begging a question" can be a subject of debate in GRE solution discussions, as different individuals may have different interpretations or perspectives on what constitutes a complete and satisfactory solution.