Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

GRE subject physics

1. Oct 24, 2007 #1
    Has anyone reading this post taken the GRE subject exam in physics? If so, do you know what calculators they allow? I have a HP48GX (or something like that).

If they won't allow that, can you recommend a good calculator that does RPN?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I don't think they allow calculators. (I admit it's been quite a while since I took the GRE!)
  4. Oct 24, 2007 #3

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

As Doc Al mentioned, the GRE Physics Test does not allow any calculators. Sorry!
  5. Oct 25, 2007 #4
  6. Oct 25, 2007 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Actually, now that I recall, the test is multiple choice and set up so that any needed calculations are easy enough to do with pencil and paper. If you need to reach for a caculator, you're probably doing something wrong.
  7. Nov 4, 2007 #6
    I took it yesterday. I answered 36 questions, so the best score I can hope for is in the mid 600s. I don't think it's a good score unless you take into consideration the fact that I don't have a degree in physics and my last physics courses were about 20 years ago. And the book I studied from is even older (probably the 1st edition of the Ohanian physics book). I didn't even study electromagnetics or quantum mechanics. Mainly optics, kinematics, thermodynamics and relativity.

My score probably isn't good enough to get me into Georgia Tech, where I applied. Fortunately for me, I also applied at UGA and GSU and neither of those institutions require the GRE physics test; they only require the GRE general, and I should do well on that.
  8. Nov 4, 2007 #7

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was still using a slide-rule back when I took it.:blushing: Don't remember if they were allowed though.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?