1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

GRE subject physics

Tags:
  1. Oct 24, 2007 #1
    Has anyone reading this post taken the GRE subject exam in physics? If so, do you know what calculators they allow? I have a HP48GX (or something like that).

If they won't allow that, can you recommend a good calculator that does RPN?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I don't think they allow calculators. (I admit it's been quite a while since I took the GRE!)

4. Oct 24, 2007 #3

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

As Doc Al mentioned, the GRE Physics Test does not allow any calculators. Sorry!

5. Oct 25, 2007 #4
  6. Oct 25, 2007 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Actually, now that I recall, the test is multiple choice and set up so that any needed calculations are easy enough to do with pencil and paper. If you need to reach for a caculator, you're probably doing something wrong.

7. Nov 4, 2007 #6
    I took it yesterday. I answered 36 questions, so the best score I can hope for is in the mid 600s. I don't think it's a good score unless you take into consideration the fact that I don't have a degree in physics and my last physics courses were about 20 years ago. And the book I studied from is even older (probably the 1st edition of the Ohanian physics book). I didn't even study electromagnetics or quantum mechanics. Mainly optics, kinematics, thermodynamics and relativity.

My score probably isn't good enough to get me into Georgia Tech, where I applied. Fortunately for me, I also applied at UGA and GSU and neither of those institutions require the GRE physics test; they only require the GRE general, and I should do well on that.

8. Nov 4, 2007 #7

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was still using a slide-rule back when I took it.:blushing: Don't remember if they were allowed though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?