1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

GRE subject test

1. Jul 9, 2008 #1
    Hi, does anybody know if Physics programs will accept the Chemistry GRE in lieu of the Physics test?

Also, can somebody with a good chemistry and math background, but not a ton of physics (i.e., not as much as a physics major), get into a good physics program?

I'm fairly early on as an undergrad, but would still appreciate knowing this stuff for the future... Thanks!
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2008 #2

No, I very much doubt that they will accept the Chem GRE instead. But if you're considering physics grad school, and you are still in the first years of undergrad, why not just major in physics? You might get into a few schools without a strong physics background, but you'll either have a lot of catching up do before you even start, or you won't be able to catch up - our school admits at least one person a year with an engineering background, but none have made it past the first year.

If you're considering grad school in physics, major in physics.
  4. Jul 9, 2008 #3
    You might be able to convince a Physics masters program to take you, but it's probably a bit more difficult to get into a well known (top 40) physics phd program with a Chem/math program. I'm not going to go as far to say it's impossible, but you'd certainly be an outlier.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?