GRE verbal for top universities

In summary, the individual is seeking advice about their chances of being accepted into a top university for a physics graduate course with a GRE verbal score of 155. They have a bachelor's degree in physics and are currently pursuing a master's degree with strong scores in GRE quant, TOEFL, and a high GPA. However, they are concerned about their verbal score and whether they should retake the GRE. They also mention their proficiency in English as a non-native speaker and if that could affect their chances of being accepted. Advice is given, mentioning that the verbal GRE score is not heavily weighted in most physics departments, but the individual's proficiency in English could be a bigger issue for their success in the program. A resource is provided for further
Roma93
Hi guys,

I wonder if I could hope to be enrolled in a top university (like MIT) for physics graduate course with GRE verbal 155?

I have bachelor degree in physics and I am going to obtain master's degree in Spring. My GRE quant is 168, TOEFL 105, GPA 5/5, and I also have two publications in PRD and good recommendation letters, however, I am worried about verbal score.

Should I retake GRE? Please, I need your advice. The problem is that I'm not a native speaker, I'm quite good in physics, but I do not possesses a high-level English. Could they make an exception?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
The verbal GRE does not have a large weight at most physics departments. However, your problem is not the GRE score, it's that you "do not possesses a high-level English". Your courses will be in English, taught by professors who in many cases speak English as a second language themselves. If English is a problem now, it will be a bigger problem then.

1. What is the GRE verbal section and why is it important for top universities?

The GRE verbal section is one of the three sections on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE), a standardized test used by many graduate schools as part of their admissions process. The verbal section assesses a student's ability to understand and analyze written passages, as well as their vocabulary and reading comprehension skills. It is important for top universities because it demonstrates a student's readiness for graduate-level coursework and their ability to effectively communicate and comprehend complex ideas.

2. How is the GRE verbal section scored?

The GRE verbal section is scored on a scale of 130-170, with one-point increments. This score is based on the number of questions answered correctly, so it is important to answer as many questions as possible. Any unanswered questions are counted as incorrect, so it is recommended to at least make an educated guess for every question.

3. How long is the GRE verbal section and what types of questions can I expect?

The GRE verbal section is 60 minutes long and consists of 40 multiple-choice questions. The questions are divided into three types: reading comprehension, sentence equivalence, and text completion. Reading comprehension questions require you to read and analyze passages, sentence equivalence questions ask you to choose two words that best complete a sentence, and text completion questions ask you to fill in the blanks with the most appropriate word or phrase.

4. How can I prepare for the GRE verbal section?

To prepare for the GRE verbal section, it is important to develop your vocabulary and reading comprehension skills. You can do this by reading challenging material, such as academic articles, and practicing with GRE verbal practice questions. It is also helpful to familiarize yourself with the format and timing of the exam by taking practice tests. Additionally, there are many study materials and courses available to help you prepare for the GRE verbal section.

5. Are there any tips for doing well on the GRE verbal section?

One tip for doing well on the GRE verbal section is to read carefully and actively. This means paying close attention to the details and main ideas in the passages, and actively engaging with the material by underlining important information and taking notes. Another tip is to work on your time management skills, as the 60 minutes for the verbal section can go by quickly. It is also important to practice with different types of questions and to review any vocabulary words you may be unfamiliar with. Finally, make sure to get enough rest and stay calm and focused during the exam.