GRE Verbal & Top Math Grad Programs: How Much Does It Matter?

In summary, the GRE verbal score may not be as important for a top graduate program in mathematics, as long as the overall score is not too low. However, it may hold more weight if the math score is below average. Most top pure math PhD schools do not consider verbal scores, except for Michigan which has an average accepted verbal score of 540.
torquerotates
How much does the GRE verbal matter to a top graduate program in mathematics?

Physics news on Phys.org
Check the school's website and see if they post average GRE scores for accepted applicants. I think the GRE only looks bad if your score is too low. An Q800 is not so uncommon among math majors and so a top graduate program probably won't care about that. This means the verbal becomes more important but a below-average verbal score is not as bad as a below-average math score.

i emailed all of the top pure math phD schools. most of them said that they don't even care about verbal scores and they don't have the average scores with them. the only exception is Michigan, which said that the avg verbal score of their accepted students is 540

1. How important is the GRE verbal and math score for admission into top math graduate programs?

The GRE verbal and math scores are typically considered one of the key factors in the admission process for top math graduate programs. These scores provide a measure of a student's quantitative and verbal reasoning abilities, which are crucial for success in graduate-level math courses.

2. What is considered a good GRE verbal and math score for top math graduate programs?

A good GRE verbal and math score varies from program to program, but generally a score above the 80th percentile is considered competitive for top math graduate programs. However, other factors such as research experience, letters of recommendation, and GPA may also be taken into consideration.

3. Can a low GRE verbal or math score negatively impact my chances of admission into top math graduate programs?

A low GRE verbal or math score can certainly affect your chances of admission into top math graduate programs, as it is one of the criteria used to evaluate applicants. However, a low score does not necessarily mean you will be rejected, as other factors may also be taken into consideration.

4. Is it possible to improve my GRE verbal and math score if I am not satisfied with my initial performance?

Yes, it is possible to improve your GRE verbal and math score through dedicated studying and practice. There are many resources available such as study guides, practice tests, and tutoring services that can help you prepare for the exam and improve your score.

5. Are there any top math graduate programs that do not require GRE scores?

While many top math graduate programs do require GRE scores, there are some that do not. Some programs may have alternative requirements such as a writing sample or additional coursework. It is important to research the specific requirements for each program you are interested in to determine if GRE scores are necessary.