1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

GRE Verbal

1. Jun 16, 2009 #1
    In my first attempt, I got 480/710 in Verbal/Quantitative. My poor performance in the verbal part is because English is not my native language. I particularly have difficulty in answering the Reading comprehension part. I don't think this part can be mastered by going through 4 or 5 practice tests. So, what is the way to improve on this part?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2009 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

From what I hear, the best way to increase your score on the verbal part is brute force reading. Read books, read the newspaper, read whatever resources you used to learn english, etc. I can't imagine any real "tricks" to doing well on verbal since the "tricks" I read about when I took it didn't work too well when I had to take the test.

4. Jun 16, 2009 #3
    Pengwuino is right. What I found most useful in terms of similar word usage and structure were the Sherlock Holmes series. The short stories should only take you about an hour or so to read through individually. But also make sure to introduce some diversity into your reading.

5. Jun 16, 2009 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is English a second language for you? If so, you may want to take the TOEFL if your verbal SAT scores are weak. This will help show that your problem is that English is still a foreign language for you.

If English is your native language, and reading comprehension is your weakness (rather than the obscure vocabulary they test that needs to simply be memorized), then read, read, read, read, read!

6. Jun 18, 2009 #5
    How about learning the meaning of root words? Has anyone approached the verbal section that way?

7. Jun 18, 2009 #6
    Learning the root of the words may help you, but you should still find text that uses those words. Memorizing is not very helpful for this section, you should mainly try and know how the words are used and in what context than knowing their exact definitions.

I mean, you should have some knowledge of what the complicated words mean. But don't sit there memorizing for exactness.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook