What makes American History X and Apocalypse Now must-see movies?

In summary: Mother Angelica (Sharon Stone) leaves her convent to start a convent of her own. The convent becomes a haven for abused girls, and Mother Angelica uses her media savvy to fight for the rights of the girls and to expose the corruption of the Catholic Church.In summary, "God's Little Acre" is a historical drama about rural Southern life and the people who live there. It is humorous and heart-wrenching, and Cliff Robertson is perfect in the lead role. "Pan's Labyrinth" is a Spanish film about a mentally retarded man who is given a treatment that enhances his intelligence. It is a love story, tragedy, and children's movie. "Believe it or not, I'm actually very
Ivan Seeking said:
Btw, Nicole Kidman was incredible in Moulin Rouge!... or at least infinitely watchable. Yowza!

http://www.whispermag.co.uk/siteimage/scale/0/0/75547.gif
[/URL]

You people really have sh*t* tastes in movies!

NICOLE KIDMAN? (Well OK, she looks kinda cute in The Invasion...but HEY she can't act for nuts!)

There IS no "Best Movie". There are only highlights from every genre. Which genre do you want? I'll tell you the best movie from that genre. (I'm hoping this is not restricted to American movies).

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
WhoWee said:
I enjoyed the movie with one exception. They never really addressed the part where he ended up a great distance from where he was headed and (I believe) missing some time. I think he was headed south near Richmond and ended up near Pittsburgh?

Keel's whole mothman prophecy mythos (as opposed to the mothman phenomenon in and of itself) is chock full of random X-Files-esque phenomenon which all winds up being tied together by Keel in a sort of supernatural conspiracy theory. Among those was the 'Time Loss' phenomenon which he apparently believes he experienced. I have heard shows on Coast to Coast about it. Several people claim to have been driving along in their car and suddenly realized that they seemed to have jumped forward in time. The reports of it vary from just a few minutes to hours and some people describe having found themselves stopped on the side of the road when they had just been driving. Others describe being somewhere far off from where they had been sometimes supposedly much further from where they had been than they could have actually driven. The stories are most often connected to UFOs and abductions.
He also uses dopplegangers, prescience, mysterious voices on the phone, mysterious illnesses, objects/growths under the skin, and a demon who we are supposed to assume is the mothman which is really a separate phenomenon itself. The 'Time Loss' is really just a story vehicle to move the main character into investigating this apparent hotspot of strange activity and we can supposedly blame it on the trickster like nature of the demon Indrid Cold. The 'expert lecture' near the end is a similar hack story vehicle.

My wife and I take turns picking movies. We rarely pick from the same list. With that said, a few weeks ago she selected "Serendipity"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0240890/plotsummary

I really wasn't interested in watching, but a deal is a deal and we microwaved some popcorn and settled in for the night. Luckily, I paid attention to the story line. Basically, two strangers meet while shopping, spend a few hours together having fun and talking and debate the existence of fate. They decide not to exchange names and numbers and leave meeting again up to fate. Both characters are followed through time and it becomes obvious that fate is/might be trying to reunite them.

I actually enjoyed the movie more the second time, after picking up additional subtleties.

Metropolis (Moroder's 1984 restoration with the great soundtrack).

It can be called Sci-Fi, I guess, but so can Frankenstein.

EnumaElish said:
Metropolis (Moroder's 1984 restoration with the great soundtrack).

It can be called Sci-Fi, I guess, but so can Frankenstein.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzDHlFrwSbw

Ha ha, nice clip, Ivan!

(My first reaction was, "what -- who -- how?")

It reminds me of "the Fed" right before the last financial burst.

[For the record, I've had nothing to do with that clip (or the soundtrack, for that matter).]

Last edited:
Maverick_Starstrider already posted it, but I have say I agree 100%

American History X

I didn't see this one listed yet.

Apocalypse Now "I love the smell of Napalm in the morning ... someday this wars going to end."

Thanks
Matt

Back