Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Great physicists that inspire!

1. Mar 31, 2012 #1
    I'm pretty new to the wonderful world of physics! Who are some people I can look to for inspiration?

Any book suggestions would be nice too- love to readddddddd.
    Mention some awesome women physicists too :)

i know this is something i could just simply google, but i'd rather hear from you guys.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2012 #2
    Richard Feynman is a constant inspiration for me. As far as books go, I would suggest reading QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter, The Character of Physical Law, or Six Easy Pieces to begin with so that you can decide if you enjoy his style.

4. Mar 31, 2012 #3
    Richard Feynman
    Faraday
    Von Neumann
    Tycho Brahe

If you are interested in scientists in general Linus Pauling and Robert Burns Woodward are very interesting too.

5. Mar 31, 2012 #4
  6. Mar 31, 2012 #5
    just added the pleasure of finding things out to my amazon shopping cart lol :)

7. Apr 1, 2012 #6
    Use this link to purchase!
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=473931

Feynman will likely be the most recommended here, and for good reason. I really like Walter Lewin, Carl Gauss, Leonard Euler, Jim Al-Khalili, Leonard Susskind, Kip Thorne. If you haven't read the Feynman lectures on physics, do yourself a favor.

8. Apr 1, 2012 #7
    I loved Leonard Susskind's "The Black Hole War." Read it twice so far and plan on reading it again. It is not a technical book but I would say its a must read.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook