Who are some inspiring physicists and recommended books for beginners?

• Thread starter mariexotoni
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physicists
In summary, the conversation discusses inspiration for those new to the study of physics, with a focus on books and notable physicists. Richard Feynman is highly recommended, along with other physicists like Faraday, Von Neumann, Tycho Brahe, Linus Pauling, and Robert Burns Woodward. The book "The Pleasure of Finding Things Out" by Feynman is also mentioned. Other suggestions include Walter Lewin, Carl Gauss, Leonard Euler, Jim Al-Khalili, Leonard Susskind, and Kip Thorne. The Feynman lectures on physics are also highly recommended.
mariexotoni
I'm pretty new to the wonderful world of physics! Who are some people I can look to for inspiration?

Any book suggestions would be nice too- love to readddddddd.
Mention some awesome women physicists too :)

i know this is something i could just simply google, but i'd rather hear from you guys.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Richard Feynman is a constant inspiration for me. As far as books go, I would suggest reading QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter, The Character of Physical Law, or Six Easy Pieces to begin with so that you can decide if you enjoy his style.

Richard Feynman
Faraday
Von Neumann
Tycho Brahe

If you are interested in scientists in general Linus Pauling and Robert Burns Woodward are very interesting too.

just added the pleasure of finding things out to my amazon shopping cart lol :)

mariexotoni said:
just added the pleasure of finding things out to my amazon shopping cart lol :)

Use this link to purchase!
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=473931

Feynman will likely be the most recommended here, and for good reason. I really like Walter Lewin, Carl Gauss, Leonard Euler, Jim Al-Khalili, Leonard Susskind, Kip Thorne. If you haven't read the Feynman lectures on physics, do yourself a favor.

I loved Leonard Susskind's "The Black Hole War." Read it twice so far and plan on reading it again. It is not a technical book but I would say its a must read.

1. Who are some of the greatest physicists that have inspired others?

Some of the greatest physicists that have inspired others include Albert Einstein, Isaac Newton, Galileo Galilei, Marie Curie, and Richard Feynman.

2. What contributions did Albert Einstein make to the field of physics?

Albert Einstein is known for his contributions to the theory of relativity, which revolutionized our understanding of space and time. He also made significant contributions to quantum mechanics and the concept of mass-energy equivalence, summarized by his famous equation E=mc^2.

3. How did Marie Curie inspire future generations of physicists?

Marie Curie was the first woman to win a Nobel Prize and the only person to win Nobel Prizes in two different scientific fields (physics and chemistry). Her groundbreaking research on radioactivity paved the way for future advancements in nuclear physics and medicine.

4. What is Richard Feynman's famous quote about science and inspiration?

Richard Feynman famously said, "I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned." This quote emphasizes the importance of curiosity and critical thinking in scientific pursuits.

5. How have these great physicists inspired and influenced modern-day science?

The works and discoveries of these great physicists have laid the foundation for modern-day science and continue to inspire and influence new generations of scientists. Their theories and research have led to countless advancements in technology, medicine, and our understanding of the universe.