Great Pyramid of Cheops (Center of Mass Problem)

In summary, the Great Pyramid of Cheops at El Gizeh, Egypt had a height of 148.6 m before its topmost stone fell. Its base is a square with an edge length of 227.4 m and its volume is equal to (L^2)H/3. Assuming a uniform density of 1.8e3 kg/m^3, the original height of its center of mass above the base can be found by integrating the height above the base of each element of mass. The work required to lift all the blocks into place from the base level can also be found using this method.
spank_fusion
The Great Pyramid of Cheops at El Gizeh, Egypt, had a height H = 148.6 m before its topmost stone fell. Its base is a square with edge length L = 227.4 m. Its volume V is equal (L^2)H/3. Assuming that it has uniform density p(rho) = 1.8e3 kg/m^3.
(a) What is the original height of its center of mass above the base?
(b) What is the work required to lift all the blocks into place from the base level?

Kay, so I'm good with finding center of mass in one dimension, but in two and three dimensions, it is confusing the hell out of me. Am I supposed to integrate? If so, what? I just need a push in the right direction (I think).

Also, for finding the work, I'm guessing I'm supposed to use the CM height as the distance for all of the blocks traveled, but I'm not sure about that either. Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you need to integrate.

If z is the height above the base of an element of mass of thickness dz then the element of mass at height z is proportional to [itex](h-z)^2 dz[/itex]. You need to find the average of z which means summing over all elements of mass - and dividing by the total mass.

But wouldn't that just be dividing the total mass by the total mass? I'm really confused. I need to have the answer tonight, so if anyone can give me a bit more information, it would really help.

No. The integrand of the integral in the numerator will have an additional factor of z in it so the integrals are not the same.

What is the Great Pyramid of Cheops?

The Great Pyramid of Cheops is a massive ancient structure located in Giza, Egypt. It is also known as the Pyramid of Khufu and is the largest of the three pyramids in the Giza complex.

How was the Great Pyramid of Cheops built?

The exact construction techniques used to build the Great Pyramid of Cheops are still debated among scientists. It is believed that it was built using around 2.3 million limestone blocks, which were quarried and transported using ramps and sledges.

What is the center of mass problem of the Great Pyramid of Cheops?

The center of mass problem of the Great Pyramid of Cheops refers to the challenge of determining the exact center of mass of the pyramid, which is necessary for understanding its structural stability and the forces acting on it.

How has modern technology helped solve the center of mass problem?

Modern technology, such as laser scanning and 3D modeling, has greatly aided in solving the center of mass problem. These technologies allow for precise measurements and calculations to be made, providing a better understanding of the pyramid's structure and center of mass.

What are some theories about the purpose of the Great Pyramid of Cheops?

There are many theories about the purpose of the Great Pyramid of Cheops, ranging from a tomb for the Pharaoh Khufu to an astronomical observatory. Some also believe it has a religious or spiritual significance. However, the exact purpose of the pyramid is still a mystery and continues to be a topic of debate among scientists and historians.