Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Great question with capacitor

1. Jul 18, 2015 #1
    I KNOW WHAT CAPACITOR IS. IT'S AN EQUIPMENT THAT SAVES ELECTRICAL ENERGY.
    MY QUESTION IS THIS:
    LET'S IMAGINE WE HAVE A CIRCUIT : BATTERY, A LIGHT, AND CAPACITOR. CURRENT FLOWS THROUGH ALL OF THEM. CAPACITOR IS TRYING TO SAVE ENERGY,ITS VOLTAGE IS INCREASING, AND FINALLY, WHEN IT'S FULLY CHARGED, A LIGHT gets switched off.
    then,when this all happened, question is why did we use capacitor? what did it help us with? maybe I didn't want light to be switched off, but let's say I wanted it, then looking at this condition, what am i gonna do with capacitor that has energy now?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2015 #2
    You wouldn't use a capacity in that circumstance.

Imagine a different real world scenario. You want to generate a really bright flash for a camera, you need a load of energy to get the flash to the level you need, but you don't want to design something that requires really big batteries. What do you do? You build a circuit that charges up a capacity over a period of time (could be a few seconds, could be longer) using small batteries, and when you get a full charge, you release it from the capacitor into the flash circuit and get the voltage required to make your flash really flash!

4. Jul 18, 2015 #3
    If you now remove the battery, and place a jumper in its place, the bulb will once again light for the same time. A useful energy store.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook