Obama's Speech: Dysfunctional Three Ring Circus

• News
  • Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary: It solved the NFL lockout. Both sides decided they couldn't afford to go without the money beer companies pay for... commercials.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I have to agree with what he said tonight, even though he interrupted my cooking show.

Politicians need to stop the showboating and do what is in the best interest of the country.

He's right, it is a dysfunctional three ring circus.

Physics news on Phys.org
What in the world did I miss that would dare interrupt Evos cooking show?

I at least would prefer a functional three ring circus. It is also more of a two ring circus IMO.

Pengwuino said:
What in the world did I miss that would dare interrupt Evos cooking show?
This is highly unusual, since when can the speaker of the House interrupt national TV? :bugeye:

I do not ever remember anyone but the President being able to interrupt for a special announcement.

Now John Boehner is interrupting TV. :eek:

The end of the world is truly nigh.

Are you listing to the GOP response?

edit: Opps. I guess you did.

dlgoff said:
Are you listing to the GOP response?
Unfortunately.

Evo said:
Unfortunately.

You know what I do when I hear this crap? Head for the fridge for another beer.

dlgoff said:

"To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems!"
-Homer Simpson

dlgoff said:
This is the whole problem in a nutshell. "Presidential speech and Republican response"

We are truly a nation divided at the top with no one that cares about the nation itself. They'd rather screw the people until there is nothing left.

They don't care, they're rich, their money is offshore (most likely) and they have the ability to move to another country.

MATLABdude said:
"To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems!"
-Homer Simpson
As my microbrewery glass says, "...because without beer, things do not seem to go as well..."

Hey. Maybe the GOP needs to get really drunk. You think that will help?

Evo said:
This is the whole problem in a nutshell. "Presidential speech and Republican response"

We are truly a nation divided at the top with no one that cares about the nation itself. They'd rather screw the people until there is nothing left.

They don't care, they're rich, their money is offshore (most likely) and they have the ability to move to another country.

Careful Evo. I would hate to see you get banned. :cry:

dlgoff said:
Hey. Maybe the GOP needs to get really drunk. You think that will help?
I thought that was the problem.

Really, would it kill these people to actually work together for the greater good?

I know, that's a really stupid question, they aren't in this for the good of the nation, politicians only care for themselves.

I'm so disgusted.

I think I'll just have another beer and try to forget. Before I say something ...

dlgoff said:
I think I'll just have another beer and try to forget. Before I say something ...
People are free to disagree, I'm just tired of the sandbox level tantrums on both sides.

And I don't even *like* politics.

But they interrupted my cooking show! I was ready for the perfect night.

Evo said:
People are free to disagree, I'm just tired of the sandbox level tantrums on both sides.

Me too. More beer!

dlgoff said:
Me too. More beer!
More beer!

dlgoff said:

Hi Don!

I'm druckn.

And I agree.

:)

Evo said:
And I don't even *like* politics.

But they interrupted my cooking show! I was ready for the perfect night.

Evo said:
More beer!

Same here. But now it doesn't matter. I've had a six pack. :rofl:

OmCheeto said:
Hi Don!

I'm druckn.

And I agree.

:)

[PLAIN]http://www.wpsot.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Beer-Mug-Toast.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Despite what the President says, it is obvious to me that Congress will kick the can further down the road and when they do, the President will sign it. The only question left is this: Will it be a beer can? All those in favor say aye.

Wow! Obama launched the first denial of service attack against Congress in the history of the US. He urged people to contact their Congress members and Congressional websites are crashing.

And the NFL lockout ended.

Evo said:
I thought that was the problem.

Really, would it kill these people to actually work together for the greater good?

I know, that's a really stupid question, they aren't in this for the good of the nation, politicians only care for themselves.

I'm so disgusted.

Politicians represent people. In a ratio to how much money they represent. More 12 years single malt.

Rofl. Is there anything that enough beer can't solve? At least for the next 6 months.

Evo said:
Rofl. Is there anything that enough beer can't solve? At least for the next 6 months.

It solved the NFL lockout. Both sides decided they couldn't afford to go without the money beer companies pay for commercials.

BobG said:
Wow! Obama launched the first denial of service attack against Congress in the history of the US. He urged people to contact their Congress members and Congressional websites are crashing.

And the NFL lockout ended.
:rofl:

beer is not cost-effective. i think i may go buy a bottle of two-buck chuck, or one of those newfangled wineskins in the cardboard box.

I have to agree in principle to every point of Obama's speech (a rarity, since there are few politicians that I can fall in line with). We need to get our financial house in order ASAP, so that we don't end up paying more interest (thanks to a lower bond rating). We also need a solution that doesn't put us right back here a few months down the road.

We can't allow party politics to jerk us around and threaten our economy every few months. Small businesses and young people trying to enter the job market are going to get killed if the GOP wants to keep playing such games for political ends. I don't think the high mucky-mucks of their party care who gets hurt, but I do.

dlgoff said:
[PLAIN]http://www.wpsot.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Beer-Mug-Toast.jpg[/QUOTE] [Broken]

hic!

[URL]http://www.europa.com/~garry/scienceandbeer.JPG[/URL]

Sorry!

Your glasses, and my glass coincided there for a moment, in a cosmic, ... hic!.

hic

:redface:

Ok. Time for bed. :zzz:

:smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
turbo-1 said:
I don't think the high mucky-mucks of their party care who gets hurt, but I do.

Boehner and Obama could have cut a $4 trillion debt reduction deal. The problem lies with the new tea partiers in Congress. Of course Obama said that. If you want to read the short version of Obama's speech, just read my posts over the last week in the 14th amendment thread. :biggrin:

Boehner can't control his wild pack. So now, because of the tea party, instead of real progress, we will probably get a meaningless kick of the can at best.

Last edited:
Excuse my frustration. I'm from the radical middle. :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
Boehner and Obama could have cut a $4 trillion debt reduction deal. The problem lies with the new tea partiers in Congress. Of course Obama said that. If you want to read the short version of Obama's speech, just read my posts over the last week in the 14th amendment thread. :biggrin:

Boehner can't control his wild pack. So now, because of the tea party, instead of real progress, we will probably get a meaningless kick of the can at best.

:frown:

I just listened to the speech. It was great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O08VHT6TsRM

It almost looked as if Barry was listening to some of us for the last few years. :wink:

Poop! can't find the link to that foolish kid's thread...

I just sent off emails to my Congressman and Senators stating that as an Independent voter, I support my President and his offer in the strongest terms, and denounce the no-compromise ideology of the tea party and others on the right who torpedoed our chance for real progress on debt reduction.

I also condemned Democrats who refuse to compromise, in the strongest terms, with a personal touch: ~ I have always voted for you, but I expect you to make compromises and serve the nation, not the party... [or else implied].

Last edited:
OmCheeto said:
:frown:

I just listened to the speech. It was great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O08VHT6TsRM

It almost looked as if Barry was listening to some of us for the last few years. :wink:

Poop! can't find the link to that foolish kid's thread...

i haven't listened to it yet. i think i will tomorrow.

but will it make any difference when i do? Obama always gives great oral, but then fails to follow through. i just don't have faith in the man anymore. government is not more open, it's less open. personal liberties continue to take hits with zero moaning from the left since he's not a republican. we didn't get less war, we got more.

so this is a heads up. what difference will a great speech make? do you really think what the man says has anything to do with what he does? i'll need some convincing.

Proton Soup said:
i haven't listened to it yet. i think i will tomorrow.

but will it make any difference when i do? Obama always gives great oral, but then fails to follow through. i just don't have faith in the man anymore. government is not more open, it's less open. personal liberties continue to take hits with zero moaning from the left since he's not a republican. we didn't get less war, we got more.

so this is a heads up. what difference will a great speech make? do you really think what the man says has anything to do with what he does? i'll need some convincing.

This.

Remember that this is the President whom renewed the tax cuts from 2003, but then now - for political reasons - wants congress to renig on part of them? This is entirely underhanded and gaming the system. Why wasn't the President and the leftist congress worried about how to pay for the increased spending when they were in control? What's different now that makes it OK to tax anyone more (let alone just the high earners)? You can take the boy out of Chicago...

It's also interesting that he's had 5(?) press conferences in 2 weeks regarding the debt-celing issues, but has given less in the previous several months - even with people asking about our country's position in Libya. Pure political gamesmanship - and I don't like it. President Obama is campaigning for 2012 early, that's for sure.

This game of hot potatoe with our country's financials needs to stop, but unfortunately I feel that any plan the President had supported just keeps the music playing.

mege said:
This.

Remember that this is the President whom renewed the tax cuts from 2003, but then now - for political reasons - wants congress to renig on part of them? This is entirely underhanded and gaming the system. Why wasn't the President and the leftist congress worried about how to pay for the increased spending when they were in control? What's different now that makes it OK to tax anyone more (let alone just the high earners)? You can take the boy out of Chicago...

It's also interesting that he's had 5(?) press conferences in 2 weeks regarding the debt-celing issues, but has given less in the previous several months - even with people asking about our country's position in Libya. Pure political gamesmanship - and I don't like it. President Obama is campaigning for 2012 early, that's for sure.

This game of hot potatoe with our country's financials needs to stop, but unfortunately I feel that any plan the President had supported just keeps the music playing.

Sums it for me. It's like everyone is in some dreamland thinking we can live on borrowed money indefinitely. It may take another term for history to to have a perfect example of how to bankrupt a government.

<h2>1. What is the main topic of Obama's speech?</h2><p>The main topic of Obama's speech is the dysfunction within the US government and the need for cooperation and compromise among political parties.</p><h2>2. What is the significance of the title "Dysfunctional Three Ring Circus"?</h2><p>The title refers to the chaotic and divisive nature of politics in the US, with the three rings representing the three branches of government.</p><h2>3. Did Obama offer any solutions to the dysfunction in his speech?</h2><p>Yes, Obama proposed several solutions, including campaign finance reform, redistricting reform, and encouraging more bipartisan cooperation in Congress.</p><h2>4. How did Obama address the issue of political polarization in his speech?</h2><p>Obama acknowledged the role of media and social media in exacerbating political polarization and called for individuals to seek out diverse perspectives and engage in civil discourse.</p><h2>5. Did Obama mention any specific examples of dysfunctional behavior in his speech?</h2><p>Yes, Obama referenced the government shutdown in 2013 and the failure to pass comprehensive immigration reform as examples of dysfunctional behavior in the government.</p>

1. What is the main topic of Obama's speech?

The main topic of Obama's speech is the dysfunction within the US government and the need for cooperation and compromise among political parties.

2. What is the significance of the title "Dysfunctional Three Ring Circus"?

The title refers to the chaotic and divisive nature of politics in the US, with the three rings representing the three branches of government.

3. Did Obama offer any solutions to the dysfunction in his speech?

Yes, Obama proposed several solutions, including campaign finance reform, redistricting reform, and encouraging more bipartisan cooperation in Congress.

4. How did Obama address the issue of political polarization in his speech?

Obama acknowledged the role of media and social media in exacerbating political polarization and called for individuals to seek out diverse perspectives and engage in civil discourse.

5. Did Obama mention any specific examples of dysfunctional behavior in his speech?

Yes, Obama referenced the government shutdown in 2013 and the failure to pass comprehensive immigration reform as examples of dysfunctional behavior in the government.