Can kinetic friction be greater than static friction? How can this be tested?

In summary, this situation can be created in which kinetic friction is greater than static friction. This is done by varying the level of normal force.
SelmerSaxMan
Hi all. My physics teacher told me a while ago, that, under certain conditions a situation could be made in which kinetic friction is greater than static friction. He didn't know how this was done. Would anyone here be able to tell me how one would set this situation up and how he would measure the results?

Physics news on Phys.org
By the way, this isn't homework related, this is for my own interests, if that is which makes a difference in inspiring a reply to the question begged.

Since our understanding of friction is still very incomplete its hard for me to say why... but I don't think that's possible. I'm interested to see what someone else might chime in with.

i think static friction can be equal to kinetic friction but not equal.

sorry
kinetic friction can be equal to static friction but not greater than static friction.

please forgive me, mistyping.

-benzun

we know that the proventive force of a abject in motion due to friction is a function of the normal force. What if you have a situcation where is there is a varying( uneven) level of such normal force? This wil will cause an varying( uneven) level of static v.s kinetic frictional forces? Can this work?

Last edited:
hmmm interesting question. I would say it would have something to do with a special material for the object that's moving, such that, as the object moves and the contact surface heats up due to friction, the surface undergoes some physical or chemical change so that its coefficient of friction increases.

This would mean if you started to push the object on a flat plane so that it just starts moving (and then keep pushing with that same constant force), then as the heat builds up and the critical temperature is reached that the object halts to a stop even though you are still applying the same constant force...

(kant is also correct in a way, for example if you increase the mass of the object that is moving (say a bucket of sand that you continally add sand to)).

It's impossible.

Imagine if kinetic friction is greater than static friction. If you pull (or push) a box of a certain weight on a flat floor, gradually increasing pulling force. When the force becomes greater than the static friction force, the box will begin to move, but at that point due to greater kinetic friction, this box must not be moving. This is a contradiction and the reason static friction must be always greater than or equal to kinetic friction.

Hope this helps.

I've read this discussion in a Feynman's book (Feynman's lectures on physics). I think it's in vol. 1. But alas, it's not at hand now.

Last edited:

1. What is greater kinetic friction?

Greater kinetic friction is a type of friction that occurs when two surfaces are in motion relative to each other. It is stronger than static friction, which occurs when two surfaces are not moving relative to each other.

2. How is greater kinetic friction different from static friction?

Greater kinetic friction is different from static friction in that it only occurs when two surfaces are in motion relative to each other. Static friction, on the other hand, occurs when two surfaces are at rest relative to each other.

3. What causes greater kinetic friction?

Greater kinetic friction is caused by the microscopic irregularities on the surfaces of two objects that are in motion relative to each other. These irregularities create resistance and cause the objects to experience a force that opposes their movement.

4. How does the force of greater kinetic friction affect an object's motion?

The force of greater kinetic friction acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion, slowing it down and eventually bringing it to a stop. It also causes an object to require more force to maintain its motion, as the force of kinetic friction acts in the opposite direction of the applied force.

5. Can greater kinetic friction be reduced or eliminated?

Greater kinetic friction can be reduced by using lubricants between the surfaces, which helps to reduce the resistance caused by the microscopic irregularities. However, it cannot be completely eliminated as there will always be some level of resistance between two surfaces in motion relative to each other.