• Start date

Homework Statement

if (a,c)=1 and (b,c)=1 prove that (ab,c)=1

Homework Equations

I know that (a,c)=1 says that au+cv=1 and bs+ct=1 prove abq+cr=1

The Attempt at a Solution

I set au+cv=bs+ct now I don't know what to do

Answers and Replies

do you know the theorem that if d|ab, then d|a or d|b?

Yes I did learn that, but how do I use that?

So, I should prove by contradiction. If some other number divides ab then it must divide a or b but it does not divide either so it (ab,c) must = 1

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
do you know the theorem that if d|ab, then d|a or d|b?

That's false. 6|(3*4) but 6 doesn't divide 3 or 4. You had better say the word 'prime' at some point.

So if I let x equal a prime number greater than 1 I can prove by contradiction that it either divides a or b and since it doesn't there is the contradiction

Wait... x is a prime number greater than 1 that divides c

That's false. 6|(3*4) but 6 doesn't divide 3 or 4. You had better say the word 'prime' at some point.

You're right. Thanks for the correction

Thanks

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Slow down. Can you state your reasoning in complete sentences? (a,c)=1 means a and c have no common prime divisors. Now continue.

you don't need to specify 'greater than 1' because 1 isn't prime.

so if d|(ab, c), then there exists some prime p such that p|ab.

Let x = a prime number greater than 1 that divides c. Assume (ab,c)=x. Based on the theorem we know that x|a or x|b. However, based on the given that (a,c)=1 and (b,c)=1, we know that x does not divide a and x does not divide b. Hence there is a contradiction and x cannot be a prime number greater than 1. Since we know there is no prime number less than 1, x must equal 1

that doesn't look quite right. strike the first sentence and let p|x where p is prime. Go from there. It's mostly good though. The problem is that (ab, c) might not be prime.

Did not see your next post, but that is right, so I can simplify by answer to x cannot be a prime number that divides c, so x must equal 1

A philospher: my x equals a prime number that divides c.

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Let x = a prime number greater than 1 that divides c. Assume (ab,c)=x. Based on the theorem we know that x|a or x|b. However, based on the given that (a,c)=1 and (b,c)=1, we know that x does not divide a and x does not divide b. Hence there is a contradiction and x cannot be a prime number greater than 1. Since we know there is no prime number less than 1, x must equal 1

Why are you rushing this? Think about it. You can't assume BOTH x|c AND (ab,c)=x without justifying it. Look, start from this: If (ab,c) is not 1, then let x be a prime that divides (ab,c). Go from there. SLOWLY.

Ok, but can I leave x as a prime number that divides c but is simply a common divisor not necessarily the greatest common divisor. Then I still can say it does not divide a or b so must be 1

Ok let me start again.

You can't assume BOTH x|c AND (ab,c)=x without justifying it.

Yes you can. By definition. What can't be assumed is that (ab, c)=x and that x is prime.

Ok: Let x be a prime number such that divides (ab,c). Now this means that x must divide c and must divide either a or b. Now I can say here is the contradiction, we know x does not divide a or b so x cannot divide (ab,c). Therefore x must equal 1

that's the idea. looks good.

except your prof might get mad about you claiming that x = 1 since you've already assumed that it's prime. Most people exclude 1 from the list of primes.

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Yes you can. By definition. What can't be assumed is that (ab, c)=x and that x is prime.

On that, you are right. Oh, I see you've both already finished. Sorry to be so slow.

So I will just say x cannot divide (ab,c) Simce x is an arbitrary prime number then it holds for all prime numbers. Therefore (ab,c)=1

Hope I'm not sidetracking you too much (ignore me if I am), but I wanted to say here's an idea for a very slick proof using your original idea.

You originally used the theorem that (m,n)=d implies mx+ny=d for some integers x, y. Even though the converse is not true in general, it is true that for the special case d=1, this is an "if and only if."

That is, (m,n)=1 if and only if mx+ny=1 for some integers x, y. If you have this theorem, then you can give a nice solution to your problem.

So, if (a,c)=1 and (b,c)=1 prove that (ab,c)=1.

You know au+cv=1 and bs+ct=1 for some integers u, v, s, and t.

Now multiply those two equations and put into the form ab(some integer) + c(big mess)=1, where big mess is an integer.