Greatest common divisor.

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about proving that the greatest common divisor of 5x+3y and 13x+8y is the same as the greatest common divisor of x and y. The suggested approach is to apply Euclid's algorithm to the polynomials on the left. The final solution involves showing that the greatest common divisor can be found by repeatedly subtracting the smaller polynomial from the larger one.
mtayab1994

Homework Statement

prove that: x^y=(5x+3y)^(13x+8y)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Can I say that x^y divides both 5x+3y and 13x+8y and go on from there or what?

Then in case one u could multiply 5x+3y by 13 and 13x+8y by 5 and do the difference and you'll get that x^y divides y

Case 2: multiply 5x+3y by 8 and 13x+8y by 3 and then we get x^y divides x.

And from case 1 and case 2 we can conclude that x^y=(5x+3y)^(13x+8y).

Note that ^ stands for the greatest common divisor.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I strongly recommend that you NOT try to prove things that are not true!

Now, what is the problem really? For one thing, [itex]8^{21}[/itex] is not equal to 1.

Are you trying to prove that [itex]x^y[/itex] is the greatest common divisor of [itex](5x+ 3y)^{13x+ 8y}[/itex]? Unfortunately, that's still not true. [itex]13^{34}]/itex] is not divisible by 2.

HallsofIvy said:
I strongly recommend that you NOT try to prove things that are not true!

So that is not true or what?

Is this the question?:
Prove that the greatest common divisor of 5x+3y and 13x+8y is the same as the greatest common divisor of x and y.

or in notation I would understand:

Prove that gcd(5x+3y,13x+8y) = gcd(x,y)

And I suggest applying Euclid's algorithm to the polynomials on the left.

Joffan said:
Is this the question?:
Prove that the greatest common divisor of 5x+3y and 13x+8y is the same as the greatest common divisor of x and y.

or in notation I would understand:

Prove that gcd(5x+3y,13x+8y) = gcd(x,y)

And I suggest applying Euclid's algorithm to the polynomials on the left.

Yes I've solved it already thank you.

Good... I hope your solution looked something like:

Since ##\text{gcd}(m,n) = \text{gcd}(m-n,n)##,
[tex]
\begin{align}
\text{gcd}(13x+8y,5x+3y) &= \text{gcd}(8x+5y,5x+3y)\\
&= \text{gcd}(3x+2y,5x+3y)\\
&= \text{gcd}(5x+3y,3x+2y)\\
&= \text{gcd}(2x+y,3x+2y)\\
& \dots
\end{align}
[/tex]etc.

What is the definition of Greatest Common Divisor (GCD)?

The Greatest Common Divisor (GCD) of two or more non-zero integers, is the largest positive integer that divides each of the numbers without a remainder.

How is GCD calculated?

The GCD can be calculated using various methods such as Euclid's algorithm, prime factorization, or division method. These methods involve finding the common factors of the given numbers and then selecting the largest one.

Why is GCD important in mathematics?

GCD is an essential concept in number theory and has many applications in mathematics, such as simplifying fractions, finding the lowest common denominator, and solving linear Diophantine equations. It is also used in coding and cryptography to ensure data security.

What is the relationship between GCD and LCM?

GCD and LCM (Least Common Multiple) are two important concepts in number theory, and they are related in the sense that GCD * LCM = product of the two numbers. This means that if we know the GCD and one of the numbers, we can find the other number's LCM and vice versa.

How is GCD used in real-life situations?

GCD is used in various real-life situations, such as dividing a cake or pizza equally among a group of people, finding the most efficient way to pack items in boxes, and determining the time when two events will occur at the same time. It is also used in industries to optimize production processes and in computer science to improve algorithm efficiency.