1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Greatest integer function: Textbook wholly inadequate

1. Oct 27, 2005 #1
    This should be a simple question to answer… I’m doing a high school correspondence course, Algebra 2 and I’m trying to understand the “greatest integer function” which apparently has something to do with Step Functions…
    They give me very little to go one, a few tables and graphs which don’t mean anything to me.
    The problem I’m trying to solve is this:
    Evaluate f(3/4) if f(x)=[[1-2x]]
    The double brackets are basically what the symbol looks like in my book.
    So how do I “Evaluate” it? What in the world do I evaluate? The examples they give me are not in the above questions format, so I can’t draw any parallels to understand what they are doing!
    They give me some answers to choose from (multiple choice) and they are just numbers between -2 and 1.
    Any help would be appreciated, like maybe a link somewhere I could get a descent explanation of solving problems like the one above.
    Here are some screen shots of the two pages in my textbook that talk about step functions, which I have yet to understand how their examples could possibly help answering the problem they gave me.
    Thanks,
    Alan
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2005 #2
    All you need to know is what they wrote in italics: "The symbol [[x]] means the greatest integer less than or equal to x." The rest shows that f(x)=[[x]] is one example of a step function.

4. Oct 27, 2005 #3
    Unfortunately I do need to know more than that! :cry:

5. Oct 27, 2005 #4

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

To find [[x]], put x on the number line. Start moving to the left, the first integer you hit is [[x]]. If x is already an integer then you'll have [[x]]=x

For example, if you start at 2.495 and go left, the first integer is 2, so [[2.495]]=2. If you start at -0.6, the first integer as you go left is -1, so [[-0.6]]=-1.

If you're already on an integer, you don't go anywhere, so [[2]]=2, [[5]]=5, [[-123]]=-123.

Can you find [[4.6]], [[4.99]], [[16.0]], [[-6]], [[0]], [[-4.6]] now?

Why this is called the "Greatest Integer Function"- if you look at all the integers less than or equal to x, then [[x]] is the largest among them. If x=2.495, the integers less than x are 2, 1, 0, -1, -2, -3, .... and so on. The largest of these is 2, which is what we said [[2.495]] was.

Now your f(x)=[[1-2x]] is dealt with like any other function. To find f(3/4) substitute 3/4 for x and go from there.

6. Oct 27, 2005 #5
    Thanks, I understand now... I don't know why it couldn't have been explained in the book that way! So then the problem: f(3/4) if f(x)=[[1-2x]] equals -1 since [[1-2x]] turns into [[-.75]] which = -1 according to the funky [[x]] symbol!
    Thanks again,
    -Alan

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?