1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Greatest Integer function

1. Jan 2, 2008 #1
    can any one tell me how to solve for integer solutions of

[x]*[y]=x+y

tell the interval of its non integral solutions

pleazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2008 #2

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

But [x] = x for all integers x, so the integer solutions of [x][y] = x + y are the same as the integer solutions of xy = x + y, (x, y) in {(0, 0), (2, 2)}.

4. Jan 2, 2008 #3
    well can you show the step

the answer is (0,0) ,(2,2)

i am looking for good and proper stepwise answer and not guesses , i think my method is very weak ..thats why i am here

5. Jan 2, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

first, I must say that "Guessing" (and then checking your guess) is a perfectly "good and proper" method! For n an integer, [n]= n so your equation is simply xy= x+ y. You can write this as xy- y= (x-1)y= x or, if x is not 1, y= x/(x-1). If x is not 0, that says x-1 divides x. The only integer x such that x-1 is a factor of x, is x= 2. You can then check x= 1 or x= 0 separately: If x= 1, xy= x+ y becomes y= 1+ y which is never true.; If x= 0, then xy= x+ y becomes 0= 0+ y which is true for y= 0. The only only solutions are x= y= 0 and x= y= 2.

6. Jan 2, 2008 #5
    i agree to what you said

if you replace x-1=k
    y=1+1/k
    case 1
    k>=1

y=2
    no further value of k will do as 1/k is a fraction and goes on to decrease

similiarly you can do k<1

k=-1
    y=0

rest all give fraction of decreasing value

ok this much is clear to me but i cant even think of something to start with for next part

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?