1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Greatest lower bound proof

1. Feb 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use the Archimedean property of [itex] \mathbb{R} [/itex] to prove that
    the greatest lower bound of [itex] {\frac{1}{n}:n\in\mathbb{N}}=0 [/itex]
    the archimedean principle says that for any number y there is a natural number
    such that 1/n<y for y>0

3. The attempt at a solution
    since all of our numbers in our set are positive. I could pick a real number as close to zero as I wanted but there would still be a natural such that 1/n is smaller than the real I picked, there zero is the greatest lower bound of the set.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, yes, that would be true. What's your question?

4. Feb 2, 2012 #3
    Im guessing my statement isn't enough to prove it. Or should I assume that there is a real just to the right of zero and claim that this is the greater lower bound, but then there is always another number 1/n that is smaller and since all 1/n are in the set, that zero has to be the greatest lower bound.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  5. Feb 2, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't see why not. If y>0 then y is not a lower bound of {1/n} by the Archimedean property. If y=0, then it is since 1/n>0 for all n. Doesn't that make y=0 the greatest lower bound?

6. Feb 2, 2012 #5
    ok sweet, thanks for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook