Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Greatest movie characters ever

1. Jun 15, 2005 #1
    Just wondering which actors played the very best movie characters and why...

Mine are ofcourse Brando as Don Vito Corleone, but that will be the same for many of us, so let us not go too deep into that.

However, apart from that, i found the Antonio Salieri character, played by F Murray Abraham in AMADEUS, outstanding...I mean, quasi all aspects of human behaviour are presented : jalousy, hate, love, longing, grieve, fear, agression, curiosity, crazyness...

I also very much enjoyed Jack Nicholson in a Few Good Men, in my opinion one of his best performances though it is not a big role. His character (Nathan Jessep) is omnipresent in the movie, you can feel him...and ofcourse, who else but Jack Nicholson, has the face to play the commander of guantanamo bay...

If you goto my journal at the 'celebrity prank calls'-entry, you can hear some guys using Nicholson's voice to fool other people over the phone...it is hilarious...(scroll down to entry nr 14)
    https://www.physicsforums.com/journal.php?s=&action=view&journalid=13790&perpage=10&page=9
    marlon

ohh, and did i mention Brando in Over the Waterfront and Hopkins in The Silence of the Lambs ?

What about you , ???

Last edited: Jun 15, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2005 #2

Lisa!

Gold Member

For the first time agre with you,our beloved Marlon Brando in Godfather(I)(I also like his interesting personality)My Dear Godfather,We All Miss you!I'll Try To Be As Honest As You Were. :cry:
    I also like Al Pacino in Godfather(II) esp.in 1 scene
    Tom Hanks in Furest Gump
    Dustin Hoffman in all movie esp. Rain Man
    Jack Nicholson In Shining(Where's my beloved Stanley :cry: )
    Alain Delon in Un Flic
    Diaz and Kidman in most of movies(except the silly ones)

4. Jun 15, 2005 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Kathy Bates as Annie Wilkes
    (still scares the hell out of me; compared to Annie, Hannibal Lecter is just a choir boy)

5. Jun 15, 2005 #4

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Well how about characters played by Spencer Tracy, James (Jimmy Stewart), Gregory Peck, Sir Lawrence Oliver, Sir Alec Guinness, Sidney Portier, Richard Harris, Richard Burton, Russell Crowe (to name a contemporary) . . . . ? There have been many brilliant preformances!

6. Jun 15, 2005 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Sure; so basically, everyone interprets "the greatest.." to mean "the first who happens to pop into my head.."

7. Jun 15, 2005 #6

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why would the commander of Gitmo have to look like Jack Nicholson? IIRC he looked just like any other Naval officer when I was there (1970-71). It is not clear to me that there is a single base commander. Gitmo is actually divided into 2 commands, there is a Naval Air station which included the working airstrip and was for the most part located on the west side of the bay. The East side of the bay was the main base. Just to make my life difficult I was attached to the NAS, but lived and worked on the Main side. This meant that any payroll issues or other administrative details that I needed to deal with I had to catch the ferry to the other side of the bay, do my business and return. So even the most trivial detail took a half a day to deal with.

Oops now for something on topic
    How about Morgan Freeman in that prison movie with Tim Robbins (Starts with an S.. but the name of the prison escapes me at this instant.

8. Jun 15, 2005 #7

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Shawshank Redemption; great film!

9. Jun 15, 2005 #8

Lisa!

Gold Member

Yes,I haven't seen all Frank's movies but I think all are great.
    Fear keep you prisoner.Hope can set you free.

10. Jun 15, 2005 #9

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I agree. She was great in that movie. I also liked her in Fried Green Tomatoes, especially when she rams the young girls' car in the parking lot "Yeah, but old people have more insurance." :rofl:

I liked Jack Nicholson in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (and the nurse{edit: Louise Fletcher} was great - I finally remembered her name)

Al Pacino in Scent of a Woman

Dustin Hoffman in Rain Man

Gregory Peck in To Kill a Mockingbird

I think Shawshank Redemption is the only movie where I was really impressed with Timothy Robbins. Morgan Freeman is really good in that, as well.

Actually he was pretty good in Bull Durham, too, but I felt that Kevin Kostner and Susan Sarandon were even better.

The best performances by a star are when you forget who he is in real life and only see the character. That's hard for a lot of stars to do - it's always Paul Newman or it's always Marlon Brando or it's always Tom Cruise (except for Far and Away? the movie where he and Nicole Kidman come to America from Ireland)

11. Jun 15, 2005 #10
    agreed, indeed a very magic piece of acting, huuwaaa

i still wonder how you prepare for such a role

marlon

12. Jun 15, 2005 #11

yeahh...unfortunately i don't really like Tim Robbins...

Besides, how about Johnny Depp in Pirates of the Caribbean ? I geart movie that it, says I, savvy ??? I also liked Geoffey Rush as captain Barbossa

marlon, parler ???

13. Jun 15, 2005 #12
    True, though i never felt the weird behaviour for which Brando was known when he played in Last Tango in Paris...i don't really know why i like that movie so much. It is not spectacular but the setting of Paris in the seventies has something magical...but again i do not really know why

marlon

14. Jun 15, 2005 #13

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Pirates of the Caribbean would have done a lot better if it hadn't starred a misplaced elf; but yes, both Johnny Depp and Geoffrey Rush made the movie into a lot of fun all nonetheless.

15. Jun 15, 2005 #14

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The only actor that has ever really impressed me was Charlize Theron in Monster. I was fully convinced that they casted someone from the street to play the lead role :uhh: , I could not believe that it was actually Charlize Theron until I looked it up on the internet :eek:

16. Jun 15, 2005 #15
    Steve Mcqueen as Henri 'Papillon' Charriere and Dustin Hoffman as Louis Dega in the movie 'papillon'.

17. Jun 15, 2005 #16

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Some personal favs:

- Mel Gibson in Braveheart.
    - Morgan Freeman in Shawshank Redemption (good call guys).
    - Al Pacino and Robert DeNiro in Heat.
    - Cary Grant in pretty much anything he did.
    - Samuel Jackson in Pulp Fiction

18. Jun 15, 2005 #17
    Christian Bale - Equilibrium, Machinist ...wonder what batman will be like
    Michael Keaton-Batman
    Jack Nicholson-Batman
    Patrick Stewart-Capt Picard(greatest captain of all time) and Xmen
    Ian McKellen -Magneto/Lotr
    Jet LI - Wong Fei Hong
    Jackie Chan - 5 fists or something shaolin(with the ghosts)
    Jackie Chan - some prison movie...actually there were like 5 asian stars
    Robin William - What Dreams May Come
    AlPacino and Robert Deniro - in heat
    Robert Deniro -Ronin
    ALpacino -yes he was good in scent of a women and narc.
    Natalie Portman - Professional
    ?Jean Reno? -Professional/Ronin
    gary oldman - professional
    Morgan Freeman -alot of movies but yes Shawshank is a good one.
    -driving miss daisy
    Sean penn - I am sam, deadman walking
    Susan Sarandon- Deadman walking/thelma louise
    Dakota Fanning - I am sam.
    Cary Elwes - THe princess bride.
    Jim Carrey - Truman/Eternal sunshine...(if only batman 3 wasn't such a crappy movie
    Jonny Depp - Benny& Joon
    alan rickman - hans gruber

19. Jun 15, 2005 #18
    great movie indeed

marlon

20. Jun 15, 2005 #19

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My favourite is Leslie Nielsen in the Naked Gun.

Outstanding performance.

21. Jun 15, 2005 #20
    excuse me but we are talking about worthy/respectable acting performances here. In order to achieve that you needs ACTORS. The person you are referring is NOT. I mean, appearing in 'movies' does not make you an actor automatically. What range of human emotions does Nielsen express in this motion picture, hmm ? What ??? Which ??? Behaving as an idiot just to be funny is not acting

marlon

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?