Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Erwin Schroedinger

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Ernest Rutherford

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
ranger
Gold Member
Nope, no metaphysicist. I still think hes a pure mathematician.

I don't believe that the universe can even be described correctly with only mathematics, let alone created. (Then again, I don't really believe in God either.)

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
None of the above; I go for Archimedes.

None of the above; I go for Archimedes.
See my first post.

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I don't know what a redux-thread is.

I don't know what a redux-thread is.
"Greatest Physicist Redux" is just the name of the thread. (i.e. There is a thread whose name is "Greatest Physicist Redux")

ranger
Gold Member
I don't believe that the universe can even be described correctly with only mathematics, let alone created. (Then again, I don't really believe in God either.)
So what ever happen to the universal language of mathematics. That it is possible to describe everything with math?

So what ever happen to the universal language of mathematics. That it is possible to describe everything with math?
I'm not speaking for anyone who believes that. I am speaking for myself, and I do not believe that.

I don't believe that the universe can even be described correctly with only mathematics
I beg your pardon : what is your level in maths ?

Something that cannot be described in mathematical rigor cannot be communicated and should not be considered scientific.

I beg your pardon : what is your level in maths ?

Something that cannot be described in mathematical rigor cannot be communicated and should not be considered scientific.
That's the thing: I don't believe it's possible to make a 100% accurate model of the universe through science either.

By the way, I am about calculus level in mathematics.

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
That's the thing: I don't believe it's possible to make a 100% accurate model of the universe through science either.

By the way, I am about calculus level in mathematics.
Good grief. You are beginning to sound like a crackpot in training.

Zz.

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed

Zz.
Or, at the very least, a PHILOSOPHER..

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
ZapperZ said:

Zz.
Isn't that the same thing? :biggrin:

ranger
Gold Member
Good one :rofl: :rofl:

I'm a philosopher and a scientist.

How old are you to be so ambicious !? :surprised

I am fourteen.

ranger
Gold Member
Wow, a 14 year old philosopher and scientist. You cant just go around calling yourself these things. People have studied many many years, went to college got degrees, then called themselves a scientist. What you are saying is mockery to all those who are truly scientists.

I didn't mean I was one professionally, just that I was interested in those subjects. I'm sorry if I was ambiguous.

Anything can be described mathematically (if one wished to do so)... Give me an example of something you can't describe with math Izzhov... physically preferably, although anything works but it becomes silly to describe a painting with math, but computers do it every time you look up an image on google I bet.

Last edited:
I voted for Einstein only because Liebnitz invented calculus simultaneously and calculus principals had been in use for thousands of years.

Einstein whilst not 100% original was making his own human pyramid from a myriad of contradictory theories, where as Newton was standing on the shoulders of giants.

I may as well vote for somebody... I went for Newton, although my oppinion can't carry much weight, lol. He accomplished so much in his life time, pretty incredible. (So did the others I bet but I am most familiar with Newton's biography)

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
I didn't mean I was one professionally, just that I was interested in those subjects. I'm sorry if I was ambiguous.
Here's a friendly advice: don't call yourself a "scientist" and a "philosopher" until you have a university degree in both.

I'm interested in music. Does that make me a musician? I read a lot about medical procedures. Does that make me a physician? If it does, can I perform a surgery on you? I need the practice.

Please note that this forum has MANY actual practicing physicists, chemists, biologists, engineers, etc.. etc. In other words, unless you want to make a fool of yourself among these people, you may want to pay particular attention to how you conduct yourself on here, especially in passing off what you are not.

Zz.

Here's a friendly advice: don't call yourself a "scientist" and a "philosopher" until you have a university degree in both.

I'm interested in music. Does that make me a musician? I read a lot about medical procedures. Does that make me a physician? If it does, can I perform a surgery on you? I need the practice.

Please note that this forum has MANY actual practicing physicists, chemists, biologists, engineers, etc.. etc. In other words, unless you want to make a fool of yourself among these people, you may want to pay particular attention to how you conduct yourself on here, especially in passing off what you are not.

Zz.
Was Aristotle a philosopher and a "scientist"?

I wouldn't presume to denote one or the other by degree, although in a modern age it becomes more cogent, I'd say anyone can be either, they need not claim it but they need to study it to a high level, in education or otherwise.

Ok the 14 year old thing sends up some caveats :smile:

Was Gauss a mathemetician of superlative genius at age 10?

Last edited:
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
I wouldn't presume to denote one or the other by degree, although in a modern age it becomes more cogent, I'd say anyone can be either, they need not claim it but they need to study it to a high level, in education or otherwise.
Please don't turn the exception into a rule. Besides, we ARE living in the "modern age".

Many people don't even pretend to call themselves so-and-so even though they have their first degree - most aren't that pretentious to think they are already experts in such a field with just a degree and no experience.

Zz.