Who is the greatest physicist in history?

• History
  • Thread starter Izzhov
  • Start date
In summary, the participants in this conversation are discussing a new way to vote for the most important physicist. The criteria for the vote is that the person must have made a significant contribution to physics that would not have been discovered by anyone else, and the current vote status is empty. Participants are voting for themselves, fictional characters, and even inanimate objects, but the criteria is changed to only allow votes for real people and their specific contributions to physics. Despite this, some participants still do not understand the point and continue to make ironic or unexpected votes.
Izzhov
Alright, alright, I have an idea. Instead of using the regular poll, you can vote for anyone you want, and I will add it to this post by editing it. That way, you can vote for whoever you want, with no limit to the options. Just post the name of who you're voting for after this post. All votes before this post will be discredited, so if you already voted, you need to vote again.
Here's the criteria:
-The physicist's contribution to physics must have been, in your opinion, the most important and the one which another person would have been least likely to discover had the physicist never existed.
The Current Vote Status:
(no one so far)

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
'If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants.'

The above quote by Isaac Newton pretty much encompass my views on it. To clarify, I am not voting for anyone.

Vote for me.

*votes for himself*

You really did note get the point...

I vote for the guy who invented the wheel.

No ! For the guy who first made fire.

Errr... No ! For the fish that made it out of water !

Ok, I vote for myself too :tongue2:

*plays creepy music*

I vote for the poll itself.

Moridin said:
The above quote by Isaac Newton pretty much encompass my views on it. To clarify, I am not voting for anyone.

I vote for Newton's shoulders. Say, that was meant as a flip remark, but it's actually quite deep. Yes, Newton's shoulders. :approve:

I'm taking off all of the votes so far and adding 2 new criteria:
a) The person you're voting for must be a person, and
b) You must identify their contribution to physics.

Izzhov said:
I'm taking off all of the votes so far and adding 2 new criteria:
a) The person you're voting for must be a person, and
b) You must identify their contribution to physics.

You seriously still don't get the point?

I vote for Homer Simpson for discovering the flying rock. His quick action lead to numerous collaborations between geologist and physicist to explain the phenomenon.

Okay, you win. :yuck:

ranger said:
I vote for Homer Simpson for discovering the flying rock. His quick action lead to numerous collaborations between geologist and physicist to explain the phenomenon.
:rofl:
Since my vote was cancelled, and you are obviously much more knowledgeable than I am, I vote fore for you :approve:

*votes for ranger*

I vote for an ironic and unexpected noun in place of an actual physicist.

Chi Meson said:
I vote for an ironic and unexpected noun in place of an actual physicist.

Yes, that seems to be the pattern... :rolleyes:

1. Who is considered the greatest physicist of all time?

The answer to this question is subjective and often debated among scientists and historians. Some of the most commonly mentioned names include Isaac Newton, Albert Einstein, and Galileo Galilei.

2. What contributions did the greatest physicist make to the field of physics?

The contributions of the greatest physicist vary depending on the individual being discussed. However, some common contributions include developing theories and laws that explain the fundamental principles of the universe, such as Newton's laws of motion and Einstein's theory of relativity.

3. How did the greatest physicist impact modern technology and society?

The impact of the greatest physicist on modern technology and society is immeasurable. Their discoveries and theories have laid the foundation for many technological advancements, such as electricity, nuclear energy, and space travel. They have also shaped our understanding of the universe and our place in it.

4. Is there a specific time period that produced the most influential physicists?

Again, this answer is subjective and open to interpretation. However, many experts point to the 17th and 20th centuries as being significant periods for the development of physics. During these times, groundbreaking discoveries and theories were made by scientists such as Newton, Einstein, and Max Planck.

5. Can anyone become a great physicist, or is it a natural talent?

While some people may have a natural talent for physics, anyone can become a great physicist with dedication, hard work, and a passion for the subject. Many of the greatest physicists in history were self-taught, and their success was due to their curiosity and determination to understand the world around them.