Greatests hard rock vocalists and musicians

• Music
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hard Rock
In summary, the greatest hard rockers of all time are: Steven Tyler, Freddie Mercury, Mick Jagger, Paul McCartney, Robert Plant, Jim Morrison, Angus Young, Tony Iommi, and Ritchie Blackmore.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Who are the greatest hard rockers of all time?

A few of my favorites volcalists are:

Steven Tyler - Aerosmith
Freddy Mercury - Queen
Mick Jagger, of course.

I think these guys pretty much set the standard.

Science news on Phys.org
Simon LeBon - Duran Duran

Paul McCartney - The Beatles

Freddy Mercury and Steven Tyler are a given...

I wasn't aware that Duran Duran and the Beatles did hard rock!

As for greatest hard rock vocalist, it's got to be Robert Plant. Guitarists-- tie, Jimmy Page and Jimi Hendrix.

hypnagogue said:

As for greatest hard rock vocalist, it's got to be Robert Plant. Guitarists-- tie, Jimmy Page and Jimi Hendrix.

Definitely Robert Plant for vocals, but how about Roger Daltrey (The Who) and James Dewar (bassist for Robin Trower)?

And don't forget Grace Slick (Jefferson Airplane) and Janis Joplin!

Astronuc said:
Definitely Robert Plant for vocals, but how about Roger Daltrey (The Who) and James Dewar (bassist for Robin Trower)?

As far as The Who and bassists go-- I was fortunate enough to see The Who in concert shortly before John Entwhistle died. Wow, he did one devastating bass solo that must have lasted at least 10 minutes. Blew everyone away, just insane. A true virtuoso. He has to be high on the list as well.

(as an aside... did anyone ever know that the ordering of terms put into Google makes a difference to the search results, even without quotation marks? Try out 'the who bassist' and 'bassist the who')

Let's not forget Jim Morrison.

Integral said:
Let's not forget Jim Morrison.
I thought about the Doors and Morrison while tending bar in the Tiki. Definitely up there in the top 10.

How about Eric Bourdon of the Animals?

Thoughts about Steve Windood from Traffic?

Greg Lake (bassist) from Emerson, Lake & Palmer, although not necessarily hard rock, but progressive rock.

Justin Hayward and John Lodge from the Moody Blues - mostly progressive, but they could rock too.

hypnagogue said:

Yeah, I realized after I posted, my mistake on not catching hard rock vocalists ( :redface: )...I just saw the part concerning talented musicians and vocalists...so that's what I meant, though it may not be placed in the right thread :uhh: !

Sometimes I don't always read things through (you should see how I am with things when I don't read the instructions properly!)...

Lemmy - Motorhead
Joe Cocker
Janis Joplin
Ozzy
Tommy James
Little Richard
Jerrey Lee Lewis
Eric Burden
Rob Halford
Joey Ramone

Last edited:
Vocalists:
Sebastian Bach - Skid Row
Rob Halford
Mike Patton - Faith No More, Mr Bungle, Fantomas...

Musicians:
Tony MacAlpine
Devin Townsend

who's the guy from AC/DC... angus young?
shagrath from dimmu borgir is good too. so is glen benton from deicide.

hypnagogue said:
As for greatest hard rock vocalist, it's got to be Robert Plant.

No doubt; he should have been on my list of personal favorites.

fourier jr said:
who's the guy from AC/DC... angus young?
shagrath from dimmu borgir is good too. so is glen benton from deicide.

Yeah Angus Young

While Dimmu Borgir is good to listen to it doesn't quite fit into the genre of hard rock. It's black metal and Deicide is death metal.
Have to distinguish between a good vocalist and a vocalist you like.
For example, I wouldn't say that Jens Kidman of Meshuggah is a good vocalist, but I would say he is one of my favourite vocalists.
His style suites the music and it's what I like, but when someone is asking for great vocalists he just isn't that.

Bono from U2 for vocals.

hypnagogue said:
As far as The Who and bassists go-- I was fortunate enough to see The Who in concert shortly before John Entwhistle died.
I went to the first concert they did, just a day or two after Entwistle died. It was sad day, but that concert was my best concert experience to date. And Townsend was totally electric - windmills and all !

Maynard James Keenan - Tool/A Perfect Circle (vocals/frontman)
Bruce Dickinson - Iron Maiden (vocals/frontman)
Cliff Burton - Metallica (bass/songwriting/inspiration and anchor, and dearly missed by me :frown: )
Steve Grimmett - Onslaught (vocals)

Axl Rose (vocals) from Guns 'n' Roses
Slash (guitar) from Guns 'n' Roses
Mick Jagger
Jim Morrison
Mark Knopfler from the Dire Straits(i know, this is not really hard rock but i really like 'em)

ps : I once hear Simon LeBon 'sing' together with Pavarotti (song was 'ordinary world') and he really sucked, as usual.

marlon

guitar: Eddie Van Halen, Randy Rhoads, Joe Satriani, Yngwie Malmsteen, Angus Young, Tony Iommi, Ritchie Blackmore, Steve Vai

I am glad someone besides me mentioned Joe Satriani. Definitely top 10 in guitar with Hendrix, Page, Clapton and Stevie Ray Vaughn.

Soilwork said:
Rob Halford
I second that one!

A couple of drummers who i happen to think are astounding:

Carl Palmer, of ELP.
Danny Carey, of Tool.

Vocals:
Eddie Vedder, of Pearl Jam.

Chester bennington of Linkin Park is great. He can scream and sing damned well .But LP is overrated tho.
Cristina Scabbia from Lacuna Coil has great vocals. Dun really like goth tho , but she's just so hot... :!)

Bon Scott! Bon Scott! He's the best.

I think I make a pretty good hard-rock vocalist when I hit the karaoke scene. Aside from me, though, these guys are all excellent:

Chris Cornell - Soundgarden, Audioslave
Maynard Keenan - Tool, A Perfect Circle
Trent Reznor - Nine Inch Nails
Tom Verlaine - Television

Freddy Mercury and Robert Plant definitely set the bar, however. Plant I can emulate fairly well, but I can't touch Freddy.

1. Who is considered the greatest hard rock vocalist of all time?

The answer to this question is subjective and varies among different individuals. Some may argue that Freddie Mercury of Queen or Robert Plant of Led Zeppelin are the greatest hard rock vocalists, while others may consider Axl Rose of Guns N' Roses or Steven Tyler of Aerosmith as the top contenders. Ultimately, it comes down to personal preference.

2. What makes a great hard rock vocalist?

A great hard rock vocalist is known for their powerful and distinctive voice, stage presence, and ability to convey emotion through their singing. They also possess a wide vocal range and the ability to hit high notes with ease. Additionally, their vocal style and technique must be well-suited for the hard rock genre.

3. Who are some notable hard rock musicians besides vocalists?

Some of the most notable hard rock musicians, aside from vocalists, include guitarists such as Jimi Hendrix, Eddie Van Halen, and Jimmy Page. Bassists like John Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin and Flea of Red Hot Chili Peppers are also highly regarded. Drummers such as John Bonham of Led Zeppelin and Neil Peart of Rush are considered among the best in the genre.

4. Are there any female hard rock vocalists who are considered the greatest?

Yes, there are several female hard rock vocalists who are highly regarded in the genre. Some of the best include Ann Wilson of Heart, Pat Benatar, and Janis Joplin. These women have proven that they can hold their own in the male-dominated world of hard rock music.

5. How do hard rock vocalists and musicians compare to other genres of music?

It is difficult to compare hard rock vocalists and musicians to those in other genres, as each genre has its own unique elements and styles. However, hard rock vocalists and musicians are known for their high energy and dynamic performances, as well as their technical skills and musicianship. They often have a strong stage presence and are able to connect with their audience in a powerful way.