Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Greek fire

1. Aug 3, 2004 #1
    Anyone here knows what Greek fire is all about? I understand it was used in the 8th century, and the recipe was lost. Projectiles would ignite ships on impact, and water wouldn't turn it off, in fact, it would burn on water. They could also make flamethrowers with it. Is there an equivalent today, and what is it used for? Thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2004 #2
    i think they have not discover it yet.but it was called liquid fire.
  4. Aug 10, 2004 #3
    all they really know about the originial recipie is that sulfur was in it. well the closest thing they use in the miltary would be napalm which really isn't that close to it. there are also substances that ignite when they contact water. i guess you could say that its the closest thing around but i don't know of any usefull applications other than some fun out in the woods.
  5. Aug 10, 2004 #4
    Ah, yeah we have thousands of chemicals that could do the same thing. Napalm would be one of the first things that comes to mind. That fact that it burns on water is not suprizing, most oils and flamables are less dense than water thus will float. On top of water a fammable has everthing it needs to combust, just add heat.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?