Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Greek/hindu Etcmythology.why ?

1. Oct 20, 2004 #1
    We all know that about the Greek Gods and the various stories and beliefs related to them.Similarly many Gods exist in the Hindu culture.At the same time Christianity and Islam also preach about Gods,but mainly one.All of this is based on the writings of people in the past.Now they might be myths,but there MUST have been a REASON for all these stories to originate in the first place.Dont you think so ?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I think there were MANY REASONS; to search for a SINGLE reason is futile and will tend to simplistic "explanations" (which I don't have, BTW)
  4. Oct 20, 2004 #3
    One similarity that I found was that the old Bible story about Noah and the Ark seemed to closely parallel some parts from the Epic of Gilgamesh in ancient Sumerian literature.
  5. Oct 20, 2004 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

The oldest hindu gods and the oldest Greek and Roman gods were cognate. Uranus = Varuna, and the divine twins (Gemini, dioskoroi) also exist in the Vedic pantheon. This is consistent with a common root pantheon in early indo-european times. The origin of that pantheon is unkown, but I point out that Cthlhu is a well-formed indo-european word (cf sthenhu, thunder ):eek:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?