The Influence of Greek Mythology on Roman Culture and Society

• Thread starter jackson6612
  • Start date
In summary: The classical mythology is a system of mythology of the Greeks and Romans together; much of Roman mythology (especially the gods) was borrowed from the Greeks. Graeco-Roman deity, Greco-Roman deity is a deity of classical mythology.The first statement in OP is incorrect - even according to the references cited. Hesiod simply recorded in writing what was already expressed in the spoken language, and perhaps other writings. Hesiod just happened to be the one who was inspired to produce such a comprehensive work.Greek mythology was taken seriously by Greeks, Romans, and other cultures, and was used for religious purposes, as a source of amusement, and for other reasons. There is a similarity between
jackson6612
I'm not a student of philosophy or mythology, so please keep what you say simple and explanatory.

I see most of the Greek mythology is based on Hesiod's work Theogony as is evident from the current historical records. What really motivated Hesiod to write such a work? Did he or anyone else, such as Homer, ever claimed that they were divinely inspired or any such thing? I think once I read that the persons who wrote Hindu mythology were divinely inspired. What was the status of Greek mythology in Greek culture and society? Was it taken as a religion, a time pass activity, or a part of literature of that time? Hindu mythology is, you can say, seen as a religion by Hindus. I observe there is a kind of similarity between cosmogonic claims of both Greek and Hindu mythologies. What are the reasons for this? They both assume the universe started from nothing. When Romans invaded Greece, they stole the ideas of Greek mythology, such as concepts of gods, to make part of their own culture. Did Romans have no mythology of their own, if they did, then what aspects of Greek mythology fascinated them to such a degree that they incorporated most of it?

The classical mythology is a system of mythology of the Greeks and Romans together; much of Roman mythology (especially the gods) was borrowed from the Greeks. Graeco-Roman deity, Greco-Roman deity is a deity of classical mythology.

In the table of Greek gods under link No. 1, at first sight you are misled into believing that Thaumas, along with others under the same tree (on the far top left), was a son of Oceanus and Gaia. In fact, his and others' parents were Pontus and Gaia. Did the layout also give you the same wrong impression?

Thank you for reading this, your time, and any help you could offer.

Links:
1. http://chaos1.hypermart.net/fullsize/mythfs.gif
2. http://www.apodimos.com/arthra/06/Dec/GREEK_MYTHOLOGY_THE_PRINCIPAL_GODS/index.htm
3. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontus_(mythology )
4. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyx
5. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theogony
6. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hesiod

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
jackson6612 said:
I see most of the Greek mythology is based on Hesiod's work Theogony as is evident from the current historical records.

5. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theogony
6. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hesiod
The first statement in OP is incorrect - even according to the references cited. In the Wikipedia page on Theogony, it states "Hesiod's 'theogony' is a large-scale synthesis of a vast variety of local Greek traditions concerning the gods,. . . . ."

Hesiod simply recorded in writing what was already expressed in the spoken language, and perhaps other writings. He just happened to be the one who was inspired to produce such a comprehensive work.

What was the status of Greek mythology in Greek culture and society? Was it taken as a religion, a time pass activity, or a part of literature of that time?
Probably all of those, and perhaps just an expression of thinking about the world in which they lived. Perhaps some found reassurance in the stories and explanations of phenomena.

When Romans invaded Greece, they stole the ideas of Greek mythology, such as concepts of gods, to make part of their own culture.
Not necessarily so. There was already trade and competition between Greek and Roman centers.

I was reading about a link between Hindu religion and Greek and Roman culture and religion a few days ago. Now I just have to remember where I read that.

Actually I think the greeks were influenced by the hindus. But I think the greeks brought the whole constellations to the hindus. But I am pretty sure that the greeks were influenced by the hindus

It is highly unlikely that most of the religio-cultural transfer from Greece to ROme happened in the time of Rome's build-up of hegemony in Greece, i.e, in the 3rd and 2nd centuries B.C

A far likelier model is the following:

From the 7th century BC, the Greeks established numerous colonies in Italy.
There were also numerous Greek craftsmen in the very early Rome, probably already under the kings.

The two culturally superior cultures within the local neighbourhood of Rome were the Etruscans and the Greeks.
The culturally simple Romans fashioned their own,mainly agricultural deities along the lines of the least threatening, and hence more admirable, culture, i.e, the Greeks. Much Etruscan culture filtered in, but the Romans, in their identity-building project, defined themselves AGAINST the Etruscans. That they therefore did not wholesale adopt Etruscan myths the way they did with the Greek myths is rather understandable.

I think 7th century bc is a little to early. Ancient India has archaeological evidence dating back to at least 3000 bc. You should look up dwarka if you don't already it has just been discovered under water and disproved a few theories. You may be correct in a bunch of stuff but I'm just saying

I said the Greeks began to establish colonies in Italy in the 7th century, not that the cultural transfer to the Romans began in earnest then.
But, from 6th century Rome, we DO have archeological remains from Greeks, for example temples, if I recall correctly.

Now, some of Rome's kings were definitely Etruscans, for example the Tarquins.
Thus, more narrowly, the identity-building project for the Romans would begin under the late kings and early Republic, say 550-450 BC.
This was, in its latter phase, also coincident with fighting the Etruscans, the previous overlords.
In order to prettify their own homely culture, wouldn't it make sense to borrow what they liked from an advanced culture like the Greeks, who were in cultural terms on par with the Etruscans, but not at all that menacing to the Romans?

Ok sorry

Why should you feel sorry?

I think your comment concerning the Hindu to Greek-connection is very interesting.
It is an area where I am completely blank, so thanks to pointing this out!
It is not improbable that SOME sort of connections exist here, although I would assume that most have been mediated through Persian culture.

My own posts were restricted to the tiny sub-field concerning the Greek to Roman-connection, with which I am somewhat familiar.
In no way should this imply criticism of what you have written.

arildno said:
Why should you feel sorry?

I think your comment concerning the Hindu to Greek-connection is very interesting.
It is an area where I am completely blank, so thanks to pointing this out!
It is not improbable that SOME sort of connections exist here, although I would assume that most have been mediated through Persian culture.

My own posts were restricted to the tiny sub-field concerning the Greek to Roman-connection, with which I am somewhat familiar.
In no way should this imply criticism of what you have written.

Arild

You are such a gentleman!:smile:

Best wishes
Jackson

What is Greek mythology?

Greek mythology is a collection of stories and legends that originated in ancient Greece. These myths were used to explain natural phenomena, human behavior, and the relationship between gods and mortals.

Who were the Greek gods and goddesses?

The Greek gods and goddesses were a group of powerful, immortal beings who were believed to rule over various aspects of the world. Some of the most well-known Greek gods and goddesses include Zeus, Athena, Apollo, and Hera.

What is the significance of Greek mythology in modern culture?

Greek mythology has had a significant impact on modern culture, influencing literature, art, music, and even language. Many common words and phrases have their roots in Greek mythology, and the themes and characters continue to be referenced in popular culture.

What are some famous Greek myths?

Some famous Greek myths include the stories of Zeus and the other Olympian gods, the Trojan War, and the adventures of heroes like Heracles and Perseus. These myths have been retold and adapted in various forms throughout history.

How did Greek mythology impact ancient Greek society?

Greek mythology played a significant role in shaping the beliefs and values of ancient Greek society. The gods and goddesses were seen as both powerful and fallible, and their stories were used to teach moral lessons and explain the world around them. Temples and rituals were also dedicated to the gods, and their influence was felt in areas such as politics, art, and education.